Chapter 45 - Brooke

I choke back the tears that creep up behind my eyes, forcing them away just long enough for him to finish.

I have never heard words more beautiful in my whole life, than the ones that come from him. They're so unexpected, catching me off guard, and weaving their way deeper inside me every time I hear them spoken.

My hand comes up to trace the line of his jaw, feeling my way over the prickles of his beard, before dancing my fingers up to cup the side of his face. His forehead meets mine gently, and I angle my head to lean mine back, but hold off the kiss that I know is coming for just a moment longer.

"You are the most incredible person I have ever met, Deac. You're funny, charming, devilishly handsome, but I feel like you already know all those things..."

I pause for a moment, trying to catch my breath from the way he's looking at me. The expression's mixed with so many emotions. The mischievous, wicked one, the tender, caring one, and in my opinion the best one.

The wondrous bewilderment of not expecting me to say anything back to him just now.

".. You're the first person to really understand me, and want me for me. Every other person before you has wanted my outside. The pretty thing to look at, the thing they could bring out to show off, or enjoy how bendy I can be... Each one of those relationships crumpled when I opened up, and finally let myself shine, but you... You have always leaned into my weird, accepting it right front the start. From the moment I met you, you have looked at me far differently than any other. You challenge me in the exact ways I need. You push me in the ways I crave.. I love the goof who has always walked into my apartment like he belongs there. The one who swears by health, but can consume an insane amount of baked goods, before washing it all down with a beer. I love the person who makes sure I never feel alone when things aren't quite right, and the one who is baffled by a lot of what I say, but rolls with it just the same. I have never wanted to be around someone so much, and feel so utterly lost when they aren't there.."

The air feels thicker, as I try to continue on. All the while knowing where I'm going with this, and watching his face almost glow with the suspicion of my direction.

".. No one is perfect in this world, but you have an amazing ability of never giving up, that should really be admired. Even when you thoroughly fill someone's voice mail... The cards you were dealt in this life were unfair ones, and I may slap that bitch hard if I ever met her for hurting you like that, but they have not damaged who you are. You're more than what people see on the outside. You have a dazzling smile that makes me forget where it is I'm going, not to mention an ability to spark fire along my skin by just your touch alone. You're hilarious, goofy, oddly obsessed with the hair products you swear you don't actually use, and captivating when you talk... You are my favourite pain in the ass, and I wouldn't have you any other way. I love you, Deac."

He throws me the smile that makes me forget my own name, stops me breathing, and always makes me take a moment to remember that I shouldn't just stare open mouthed at people. It lights up his whole face, showcasing the tiniest of dimples, and making him look utterly flawless. His mouth's on mine before I can utter another word, diving in like he completely owns me, and I've gotta say... He really does.

I am completely his, and have been for a while now.

His voice is rougher, his breath fanning over my whole face while he keeps his forehead against mine.

"I have to say, although I enjoy it when you call me muscles, I seriously fucking love it when you call me that. I don't think anyone ever has before."