Chapter 07: Escape fail

I take care but calculating steps back, although the gargoyle isn't speaking through her mouth-I only hear the echo of her voice in my head

It's both freaky and wonderful, one of the very few guardians of the demon realm stands in front of me—her skin made from stone with a few cracks that I can only say she got from a time of war, underneath this crack I see red burn fire but it doesn't look like it's hurting her.

She takes two steps towards me, her eyes turn to slit when I move back then I hear it again. "Ten minutes that's how long it will take Lord Xanthus to get here and oh how angry he is." I gulp, the voice passing a vibration through my veins.

We both snap our heads to the sky as lightning strikes across followed by a loud clap of thunder, I feel a slight rumble underneath my feet—as the wind begins the blow, while I look terrified the gargoyle doesn't look fazed a bit.

"How far did you think you'd get before lord Xanthus finds out you've left?" Her voice once again an echo, and I gulp as another thunder sounds. I see some homes pull their windows shut and turn off their light.

Just a bit further and I'd get to the edge of town, just a few more steps and I'll be out of here.

Freedom was so near yet so far away.

My nose wrinkle and my eyes begin to sting-a clear sign of tears about to fall, I see the gargoyle turn her head probably because she's becoming irritated.

I jump at the loud thunder that leads to heavy pours of rain, then I decide to run—I'm giving up just yet, not when my tongue can already feel the sweet taste of freedom.

I expected the gargoyle to follow me or at least yell at me, but none of that happens. She lets me run away, I can already feel the heat and gush of air that comes with traveling through a portal.

There's a line and see men and women holding their bags discussing amongst themselves—chattering away unaware of the danger that is about to approach them and it almost makes me sorry that they might be the ones to feel the wrath of the demon lord.

The edge of town is far away from houses and markets, the castle and library—it's located at the tip of a cliff—a purple glowing light begins to appear from the ground, and the light turns a light shade of blue.

The travelers are not affected by the change in weather or by how a girl with her scarf almost falls off his running towards the portal which isn't completely opened, instead, they play music and dance their troubles away trying to forget the reasons they truly turned into travelers.

Freedom, I can already feel it, the smiles on the faces of the people that loved and supported me—their warm hugs. I don't mind the rain, and neither do the travelers. Instead, they look happy and my heart clenches at the lovers dancing under them.

I'm too concentrated on the travelers that I don't notice the gargoyle flapping its wings in the sky, and when I do notice it, it's too late because the next thing ice cold fingers wrap around my tiny wrist and a loud shriek leaves my lips interrupting the joyful moment of the travelers.