Chapter 10: Drunk Lord

Tartarus has yet again let out another set of demons, this time I didn't need an order to tell me to stay up in the room

Tartarus has yet again let out another set of demons, this time I didn't need an order to tell me to stay up in the room. I voluntarily did it, simply because I felt I owed it to Xanthus.

After what Kenji said, kissing another demon when I have a mate was a low blow. And even though it has been three days since it happened I still couldn't help but feel guilty but not guilty enough to apologize.

Xanthus doesn't say many words to me, and even though I had sworn to never try to escape anymore he still doesn't trust me. And even when I told him I'd be in the room and wouldn't leave he still didn't trust but instead placed two very strong demon guards at the room's door.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm a bit worried about the fight. From the little I gathered the demons that escaped are more than the last ones—this ones are more feral and bigger. Which leaves me to wonder, what if Xanthus loses this time? What then becomes of me? I mean I'm human in a demon's realm.

If the said demon dies, what happens to me?

I almost slap myself for assuming a bunch of mindless demons would be able to kill Xanthus, he is from the first generation of demons. It would take a lot more than a few Tartarus demons to kill him.

But what if they manage to drag him to Tartarus? His absence would leave his throne open and what would then happen to me? I mean my freedom was literally handed to him on a silver platter so I could save the life of a broken demon. Not that I regret it anyway, because I'd do it over and over again.

Demons like Kenji are rare and I'd hate myself if anything happened to him because I wanted revenge on Xanthus.

I stop my pacing when the door opens, I pick the side of my long nightdress and walk to him ready to ask him about the situation but stop when I see his flushed cheeks and hooded eyes. He can't even stand on his two feet instead he is staggering.

"You're drunk." I point out, my eyes following me as he drops to the couch with a loud huff.

"Really? What gave it away?" He asks drily his eyes almost shutting.

I move closer worried, what could have possibly made the lord of demons drink to the point he couldn't walk straight? Did the rogue demons really attack that hard?

I'm about to ask but stop when a loud chuckle leaves his lips, he tries to snap his eyes really wide but fails when his eye lids drop. "Where did I go wrong? How bad am I that you moved into the arms of another man?" I let go of my nightdress and heart doing a little pinch.

I bite my lips, "Xanthus..."I begin, "We're over this already." He suddenly rises to his feet but falls back and groans.

"No, you're over it! But I'm not. Hell, neither of us are over it, you keep acting like I'm the only one who can feel this," he waggles his finger between us. "Another demon Aurora. You called me names because I am one, yet you ran into the arms of another the moment you saw him." His voice is thick with an emotion one I'm sure he'd regret showing when he is sober.