▪️Chapter 20▪️

Elena pulled up in front of Charles's mansion before climbing out. The guards searched her before they took away the weapons she had on her. She gave them a confused look but said nothing. They had never done that before.

Walking up the small steps, she knocked on the door. When it opened, a girl she recognized stood in front of her. "Daniella?" she asked.

Daniella smiled at her. "Hey, it's good to see you again. Please, come in," she greeted as she stepped away from the door, letting her walk in.

"How are you?" she asked watching the girl curiously.

"I'm doing much better." she sent her a grateful look. "I never got to say thank you by the way. For saving me that night." Elena nodded at her. "Please tell the blonde guy you were with that I said thank you as well."

"I will," said Elena.

"Thank you, now come on. I'm sure you're here to see my father. I'll take you to him," she offered as she started to lead her throughout the mansion.

Daniella stopped in front of a double wooden door that was most likely a study. "He's in there. He's been expecting you."

"Thank you," said Elena as she knocked on the door before stepping inside. As she expected, the room was his study.

Charles smiled up at her when he saw her walk him. "Anele, I'm glad you came. Please come in, I have someone I want you to meet," he said motioning towards the person in front of him.

Elena's eyes widened and fists clenched when she the man that was sitting in front of Charles. She knew him, she knew him well. Why didn't she see this coming? She should have known Charles would do something like this.

He was well built and wearing an expensive-looking Armani suit. His silky black hair had a few greying strands while his intense silver eyes regarded her with curiosity. He looked so familiar. A million emotions flickered through her but the most distinguishable was shock before anger.

"Anele, I would like you to meet one of my closest friends, Rivera Santiago." Charles introduced him cautiously waiting for her reaction.

"Charles? Can I talk to you? In private?" she hissed walking out the door before he could say anything.

She heard a few exchanges of words inside before Charles step out of the office. As soon as he did, she reached for her gun before she remembered it was taken. Damn it, why did she let them take it?

Charles who noticed this grimaced. Before she could begin her rant he cut her off, "Listen, I know what you're going to say."

"Then-"

"Do you trust me?" he pinned her down with his intense gaze.

She looked at him perplexed. "What?"

"Do you trust me or not?" he asked sternly.

She tugged at her wig and removed her shades while she paced before she stood in front of him. "Trust you? How can I trust you when you do something like this?"

"I know how it seems, but I need to know if you trust me," he insisted, looking directly at her.

She mirrored him until she realized she had no way out of this. "Yes, I do trust you." she sighed out after a second.

"Good. Now, do you remember what I told you? You can't blame an entire family for what one of them did."

"Charles-"

"Listen to me," he cut her off, placing his hands on her shoulders. "Two years ago, you came to me for help. Remember that?" She nodded. "I told you I would help you in any means I could and you promised me the same, do you remember that?" he asked.