▪️Chapter 33▪️

The loud snoring of Cole woke Lucas up the next day. He groaned in annoyance and flung the comforter away, picking up his long sleeve shirt from the floor he pulled it over his naked chest. He walked out of the room yawning and rubbing his face. He followed the sound of low music into the kitchen. However, as he got closer he started to hear soft sniffing voices.

On instinct, he barged into the kitchen and saw Elena walking his way while wiping her eyes as tears rolled down her cheeks. Anger and confusion flared in his chest as he marched towards her and cupped her face in his hands. Wiping her tears he asked, "El, babe, what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"I-I...uh-" she blinked her eyes several times and fanned them.

"What? What is it? Did anyone say anything to you?" he asked, worried about her.

She shook her head. "No, Lucas I-"

"Did Charles call you?" he guessed.

"No, I-"

"Did anyone hurt you?" his expression darkened at the thought.

"Lucas!" she gripped both his wrists with an amused smile that made him frown.

"What?"

She motioned towards the counter where she had been working. "Onions," she said while her lips twitched as she tried to contain her laughter.

He looked up at the counter where he saw she had just cut some onions then looked back at her with a baffled looked as heat crawled up his neck and spread to his cheeks. "Oh." he released her and stepped back, stuffing his hands into his pockets in embarrassment while she gently laughed.

"It's not funny," he deadpanned.

"Yeah it is." she chuckled and he turned on his heels to leave while rolling his eyes when it hit her. "Wait," she called out to him.

He turned his head back to look at her with his body facing the other way. "Yeah?"

"What did you just call me a second ago?" she asked tilting her head. He frowned before his eyes widened in shock. "Babe?" she asked, her lips twitch as the laughter surfaced again.

He turned back and left, pulling his hair in frustration without a word. Elena chuckled and continued her original task of cooking. A few minutes later, Lucas came back and took a seat on the counter with a bag of chips, close enough to talk to her but far enough so that she could work freely.

"Hey, babe," she teased when she saw him and he rolled his eyes.

"The only reason I'm here is that my ears can't handle the abuse Cole was inflicting on them with his snoring." he pointed at her seriously.

"Whatever you say, babe," she said and he threw a piece at her as she laughed.

"Alright, spill, how did you do that?" Lucas asked Elena who was busy cooking breakfast.

"Do what?" she asked looking back at him from the frying pan.

"Yesterday, when we played 'Hide and Seek', how did Larry not find you in the closet?" he raised a questioning brow at her.

She shrugged at him with a wicked grin. "If I don't want to be found, then I don't want to be found."

He eyed her suspiciously and was about to reply when Jason and Cole walked in. "Morning," Cole greeted cheerfully that Elena replied but Lucas grumbled.

"So, what are we doing today?" asked Jason, rubbing his face and taking a seat as Cole did the same before he yawned.

"The girls are currently down at the spa," answered Elena, wiping her hands on the kitchen towel. "We already ate, they just wanted me to make sure you guys had breakfast, so now I'm heading out. Don't forget to clean up," she called out before she left.