▪️Chapter 36▪️

"We're here, now what?" asked Lucas as they entered the ballroom.

"What has many keys but can't open a single lock you ask? Easy," she said and motioned towards something.

Lucas followed her gaze and chuckled in amusement. "Of course you would know the answer," he laughed. "A freaking piano."

"Yup," she answered as she made her way over. She sat down and let her fingers run down the tiles as a soft melody started to play. She would have loved to keep playing but knew they had to find the last key first. "What's next?"

"I think this," he said as he pulled out a piece of folded paper from behind the music rack prop.

"What does it say?" she asked him when he unfolded the paper.

"What has hands but can't clap?" he read and looked up at her.

"I don't know," she shrugged. "A crocodile?"

He shot her a blank look and she shrugged innocently. "I'm tired okay? We've been running around while thinking over stupid things, that's draining. What time is it anyway, Im afraid the others are already-"

"That's it!" he cut her off quickly. "Time! What has hands but can't clap? A damn clock!" he grinned excitedly and looked around. "And there it is," he said before he jogged up towards the grand clock and snatched the small golden key that was attached to its side with tape. "Wala! Were done!"

"Alright, let's hurry towards the reception hall so we can hand over these," she said as she rushed out of the hall with Lucas hot on her heels. "Mandy!" she called out as they stopped by the reception desk. "We got all the keys!"

"Oh, well that's great," Mandy said, not seeming as excited as Elena thought she would be.

"What? What is it?" asked Elena worriedly.

"I'm sorry," Mandy said apologetically.

"No," said Lucas already knowing where this was going. "No no no," he grumbled in frustration running his hands through his hair and tugging on it in frustration.

"Had you been at least twenty minutes earlier, you would have won," Mandy told them sadly. "They just claimed their prize and honestly, they're the first couple that I have seen claim their prize this fast," she motioned towards the winning couple by the prize box.

Elena and Lucas turned around in annoyance before they froze. "What? Them?" Lucas asked in bewilderment.

"No, it can't be," Elena said in disbelief as looked at the two as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing. "They are the ones?" she asked staring at the two like they grew two heads.

"Hello, my dear friends!" laughed Jason as he and Andrea skipped towards them. "Guess who won a ticket for two and the prize money?" he said in a sing-song.

"That's right, we did!" exclaimed Andrea as she and Jason did a happy dance in unison that Elena didn't even think was possible.

With a blank expression, Elena and Lucas looked at each other before they turned on their heels and walked back towards their apartment.

"Wait! Where are you guys going?" Andrea called out to them.

"Youre not even gonna congratulate us?" asked Jason trying to sound offended, but you could clearly hear the laughter in his voice.

"Congratulations!" both Elena and Lucas chorused without turning back.

-----------------------------------------------

Elena had been lounging around on the balcony alone after the treasure hunt. She was pissed that they didn't win, but she honestly didn't mind that much. She was okay with the fact that it was Andrea and Jason that beat her and won rather than some stranger. The thick white and black lumberjack shirt she was wearing wasn't really helping with the cold winter air. She sat up and ran her hands through her hair while she stretched. She had taken a long-ass nap after the treasure hunt. Lucas had locked himself in his room while the others had decided to attend the concert this evening.