𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~𝚗𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚕𝚢 𝚝𝚠𝚘 𝚖𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚑𝚜 𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚘𝚛𝚙𝚑𝚎𝚞𝚖~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
𝚗𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚕𝚢 𝚝𝚠𝚘 𝚖𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚑𝚜 𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚘𝚛𝚙𝚑𝚎𝚞𝚖
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

♪ 𝟹𝚛𝚍 𝙿𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚘𝚗 𝙿𝙾𝚅 ♪

Leila shivered on the sand as she sat on her bench and watched the waves crash down. It was around eight o'clock and it was starting to become cold on the beach as it always did after it got dark. Leila still wasn't used to it. She wasn't sure she ever would be.

Instead of focusing on the cold, Leila gazed out at the sea as she held the blanket Rose had given her close, it is the only source of warmth other than Leila's own clothes.

Meanwhile, the Patterson's walked along the beach after their dinner, grins on their faces for the first time since their son had passed away. One of Emily's friends had urged them to go out, offering to watch Luke's dog, Buddy, who had become theirs after his passing, while they went out for dinner. Reluctantly they agreed and went out to get dinner at their favorite restaurant at the pier before going for a walk on the beach. Their hands were intertwined as they walked, Emily's shoes and his own held in Mitch's freehand, with Emily's free hand she gripped her cardigan close to her, shivering slightly in the cold air.

As they walked, they caught sight of a teen girl sitting on a bench, her wind flowing in the cold breeze, a blanket wrapped tightly around her as she gazed out at the sea, at first they thought nothing of it, and then they saw an overflowing bag that seemed like it may burst sitting beside her and they quickly realized this girl was not merely sitting on the beach, she was sleeping there.

"Poor dear." Emily said as she shook her head, she couldn't tear her eyes from the young girl, she was probably around Luke's age and she couldn't imagine what she would do if Luke was in that situation, another reason she couldn't tear her gaze away was that the girl seemed awfully familiar.

Mitch hummed beside his wife and went to say something when the lighthouse's lights flashed over the girl, they were only there for a moment but it was enough. Enough for Emily to realize exactly who it was as the girl grimaced, bringing her arm up to hide from the bright light that had been shined over her.

Emily let out a gasp she couldn't hold in as she released Mitch's hand, Mitch turned to his wife, having not seen what she had but concerned about his wife, "What's wrong Ems?"

"That's Leila!" Immediately, Mitch looked over at the girl who had turned to look at them upon hearing her name. It was indeed Leila Mercer.

Leila's eyes widened as she realized who it was, she looked around seemingly for an escape, it was too dark, too dangerous for her to be wandering right now and she didn't really want to. A quiet voice in the back of her head wondered if they could help her as she watched at them, waiting to see what they would do next.

Mitch and Emily's pace picked up as they continued walking, a new destination in mind as they both thought the same thing, they need to help Leila.

"Leila dear!" Emily called upon reaching her. "What are you doing here so late?" She offered a comforting motherly grin to the nervous girl who shuffled on the bench.

Leila pushed a strand of hair behind her ear, wondering if she should lie or not. "Uh, I'm... sleeping here tonight." And the night before, and probably tomorrow as well, Leila didn't mention that part.

Emily frowned, "Are things alright at home?" Emily couldn't help but ask. She knew the Mercer's had never been the perfect family, they weren't nearly as bad as Reggie's family, the poor dear, but they were bad enough to kick their son out because of something he couldn't change.

Leila let out a bitter laugh. "Oh, they're great, after all, their disappointment isn't there." She regretted the words the second they left her mouth, it wasn't a lie however she didn't want to worry Emily and Mitch. They had always been like second parents to her, and they were clearly better than her actual parents.

"Do you have someplace to go, Leila?" Mitch asked the young blonde sternly but calm and kind.

Leila pursed her lips, not wanting to lie to them but not wanting to tell the truth either. "I have it handled."

That was answer enough for the Patterson's who glanced at each other, having a silent conversation with their eyes before Mitch and Emily nodded to each other and turned their attention back to the young teen. "Do you want to come stay with us?" Emily asked softly, "You can stay as long as you need to."

Leila was hesitant as she stared at Luke's parents. As she stared she thought of what everyone would tell her right now.

Jasper would probably either say yes for her or give her a 'nudge' in the right direction.

Luke would beg her to come stay with them, using the sister card on her.

Reggie would definitely say yes for her or offer her support in unsaid words.

Alex wouldn't say a word, they would have a silent conversation which would end in Alex nodding to her, telling her what he thinks she should say without speaking a word.

Rose would pull her aside and encourage her, tell her it would be good for her, that she could finally get the help she wanted, she needed, and get better, perhaps she would bribe her with being able to hang out more which wouldn't really contribute to her decision but it would make her laugh.

God Leila could really use a laugh right now.

Mitch and Emily watched the girl carefully as they waited for her answer, Emily shuffled on her feet silently, her nerves getting the best of her. She wanted to help the girl because she would want someone to do the same for Luke. She wasn't sure what she would say to the girl if she denied their help, she could only hope she would accept it.

Emily had a feeling Leila needed the help more than she would ever know.

Leila took a deep breath as she looked from her shoes and nodded hesitantly before realizing they couldn't see it clearly in the dark of the night. "A-alright sure." Leila cursed herself for her stutter as Emily offered a grin that caused Leila to release a breath she didn't realize she had been holding.

This was the start of something new. Something better.

♪ 𝟷,𝟷𝟶𝟺 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜 ♪