Chapter 8

*Kiara's point of view*

I opened my eyes to find my surroundings completely dark like some sort of covering over me, but somehow, I could see beyond it. Even though I could see a light, I felt like a lonely bird, trapped in a cage, trying to fly free. I pushed my hand against it and it flew away. Whatever I was expecting to see wasn't anything I could think of. I saw my parents. Standing in front of the raging building on fire. But all of that went away. It was just me, Mom and Dad. I ran towards them and hugged them tight, after 12 long years. "How is this possible?" I asked them. "This is what was supposed to happen, my love" said my mother. "From this moment onwards, daughter, you will always have to protect the ones around you, with your newfound strength." said my dad. "My newfound strength? Wait, what are you guys even talking about?" I asked in complete confusion. "My love, the world is going to die, if you dont protect it. You and your friends, have to swear to protect each other, always. We dont have much time, KC." My mom spoke again. "Be warned, sometimes, all people aren't who they seem to be. Trust only the ones your heart tells you to. Keep your loved ones close. We love you, daughter. You have done beautifully until now. You are going to wake up as a whole new person, in a moment, your soul, is always, and always will be bound to this earth. Go, my child, you have a large responsibility. Swear to always protecting each other. We have to leave now Kiara. Just know, we're always with you." My dad said, and smiled. Then a heavy wind blew around us, separating me from my parents. "NO! MOM! DAD" I felt like the little girl trying to escape the flames of a fire, trying to find her parents, who had left the earth. And then, I fell, hitting my head to the ground.

That woke me up, for real this time, and I saw the familiar covering. I pushed it away, just to see a screen with a few readings and results of tests. Where the hell am I? I looked around and saw the water of the fountain flowing away merrily. I'm in HQ. What time is it? Did my parents actually get into my head or was it just a dream? How did I even get here? How long have I slept? Did Black Fox escape? With all these questions roaming in my aching head, I got up slowly and went out the door. The sun was slightly poking in through the window. As soon as it touched me, I felt a warm glow surround me, and felt like I could run a mile. Hey, why not? But first, I need to get into my room. I went to the room Chief had shown me the first day I got here. I opened the door and saw the sun shining brightly. I found an athletic outfit, great for running. Perfect. I headed out HQ, without anyone noticing me and ran around the area and to the nearest store to buy an energy drink. And then I got a call on my commlink and heard an extremely panicked voice on the other line.