Chapter 30

"Chief actually wanted to give the files to you himself, but he was invited to an unscheduled meeting, so he apologizes for that." said Derek as he gave us a medium-fat file which had a lot of papers. "Thanks Derek. We'll check them out." I said and headed to the where the car was parked. Leo told that he would wait in the car. "Call me if you need anything!" Derek shouted from across the passage. "Sure thing!" I shouted back. I got into the passenger seat. We had installed a soft light in the ceiling of the car and since it was dark, it was automatically on.  "Took you long enough. For a minute, I thought you'd leave me here all night!" he said and I giggled. "That's a good idea!" I said and he laughed as well. "You can start driving, I just want to secure these files." I said. "Okay! But be careful." he said and slowly drove off the road away from HQ. We were currently on a deserted road, because it was located pretty isolated from rest of the city. I set the papers properly, and typed in the password for the car's safe. "Better to keep it safe, even though we're heading straight home!" I said. I put my left hand over my head to grab the seat-belt. Finding it, I pulled it, but it didn't budge. "Ugh! Why. Don't. You. Budge!" I said angrily, still trying to pull it. "What are you doing!?" Leo asked me, eyes not moving from the road and the headlights. "This. Seatbelt. Ugh, it's stuck!" I said. I was surprised when Leo stopped the car on the side of the road. "Are we out of gas or something?" I asked, and leaned over to check the dashboard. "Nope. But I'm not moving until you get your seatbelt on properly anymore!" he said and removed his own seatbelt. 

"What are you doing?" I asked him. He had shifted in his seat to face me. "Sit back." he said, kind of like an order. I gulped and sat back without a word, but became wide eyed when he reached over me and pulled the seatbelt with ease. He clicked it in the lock and was about to sit down again, when I realized I dropped my phone. "Oh, it fell!" I said and reached my own hand down to touch when I felt something warmer than the sun touch my fingers. I froze and looked to my left just in time to see Leo's own face turning to me. When our eyes met, all the noises and surrounding stopped like instantly and a blush creeping up, threatening to spread all over my face. Without breaking eye contact, he lifted my phone and put it in my hand. And me, put it in my pocket. His beautiful eyes shone in the dim light, and they looked straight into my own. "You know something? Every time I see you, I hope I can always look at you for a long time, like now." he slowly whispered. "Yeah. M-me too." I whispered back. Who knows for how long we were like that because after what felt like eternity there was a loud growl from outside the car. Both of our eyes snap immediately to the front of the car. "Did you hear that?" I whispered. "Yeah. We need to get out of here." he whispered back, and slowly got onto his seat. I tried focusing my eyes to the dark when I realized that we were going to be attacked. "L-leo?" I said. "What?" he said as he started up the engine. "On the count of three, we're out of here." I breathed. He nodded. "One...two..." I said. "THREE!" he said himself and the car roared to life again going straight on the path. The growls which were previously in front of us, were now growing louder behind us. I was sure that it was almost 11 pm because the sky was pitch black, and the clouds covered the light of the stars. "We can't get home now!" Leo shouted. "I know! We can't lead whatever is chasing us straight home!" I turned in my seat and my jaw dropped. Wolves! At least 4 times the size I had seen in movies, 3 times as dangerous, with their teeth bared were chasing us. "Uh Leo? I think we need to get off the trail for now!" I said. "What are we being chased by?" he asked me. "Wolves!" I said. His face froze. He was driving down a windy path, so we were going a bumpy road.

"Hang on!" he said and accelerated straight ahead. "What are you doing!?!?!?" I shouted. If we went off this path, we would be straight over a deep sea. The car jumped off into the air, and I closed my eyes, waiting to drop down, but we didn't. I opened my eyes and saw Leo's window open and him straining to keep control of something. One hand was out of the window, the other on the steering wheel. I realized that he was channeling the water below us. "Oh my God Leo!" I said. "Let go!" I said. "Why!?" he said. "Only for a second. Switch seats with me. I'll drive, you navigate the water!" I shouted. I briefly saw him nod. "Ready?" he asked. I took a deep breath. "When I say go, we go." I said. "GO!" I shouted and Leo let go of the water, and I felt us going fast, downward. He jumped into my seat, and me, to his. When he got there, he put his hand out. I tried following the path of water Leo was creating. "We need to find a place to get out!" I shouted over the noise of the continuous growling behind us. "Wait, are they following us?" he asked and looked behind. "CRAP!" he said. "I can't stop the flow of water at the back. I have a feeling they're provoked or something. Otherwise they don't attack like this!" he shouted. "There! We can stop the car there for now!" I shouted and pointed to the front. I could see land again. But it was a cliff. "Do it!" he said. I nodded my head. With one last force of water, he hoisted us onto the land. "Quick! Get out!" I shouted. He got out of the car, and I slammed the door and got out myself. I ran to where he was peering over the cliff's edge. "Leo?" I whispered still staring down the dark and steep cliff. "Yeah?" he looked at me. I took a deep breath. "Do you trust me?" I asked and looked at him. There was a moment of silence which was disrupted by more barking. "DO YOU TRUST ME?" I shouted and I felt fire burning in my eyes. "More than anything..." he said. 

"Jump on my back. NOW!" I shouted, and in a flash I felt my arms growing to wings, glowing with fire, shining brightly in the night sky.