Chapter 23

"So, since there are four of us, we will be divided into two groups. Since there are twins, Greg and Nate will be together, and me and Leo. We'll be put in two different classes, with different selected subjects. Me and Leo are for Sports and Art, while the twins have taken Computers and Mechanics." I said, and continued with the plan for a while. After a while, I tried going to sleep but for some reason, I couldn't fall asleep. I was going to get out of bed when I heard a knock on my door. "Hey, you awake?" I heard a whisper. "Yeah!" I said and slowly opened the door to find Leo. "Hey. Can't fall asleep?" I asked and closed the door behind me. "Yeah. I mean like, I realized our lives are going to change completely. Well, half of it already has changed. Wanna go to the roof?" he said. "Sure." I said. We went to the window nearest to the roof. "Watch this." he said, and took a deep breath. Within half a milli-second, he was replaced by a figure of water. It floated upwards out of the window, and I heard a soft thump. "Cool right?" he said, leaning downwards and looked at me. "Sure it is." I said and smirked. I stood on the window sill facing the sky.

I took a breath and felt myself leaving the surface. After 2 seconds, I landed on the flat roof next to Leo. "They're kinda overwhelming don't you think?" he said, now the two of us lying down, facing the stars. "A little." I said. "Leo? Can I ask you something?" I said and turned to him. "Yeah, of course." he said. "I think there's more to this. I mean like, at least our parents should have told us about this." I said, and sat up. "Well, i kinda knew about this..." he said and sat up too. "What do you mean?" I asked. "Well, I just remembered an incident that happened as I was a kid. To be honest, I had almost forgotten about it. My parents left me in an orphanage when I was 5. I have been fond of sports since I was a kid. Even the people who took care of me knew that. Once, there was competition among the kids there. I was hoping that I would win. It was a cloudy day, and we weren't sure whether it was going to rain or not. The race began. I was pretty afraid of lightning at the time. But I still stood in line. The shot went off, and I started running, but I was struck by lightning." he said. "Wait what?" I said, turning to him in worry. "Yeah, I fell, but somehow, I got back up and ran again. The people who were on the sidelines came running to me, but I wasn't hurt a bit. Then after few weeks later, i was adopted by the twins' parents and everything." he said, and shrugged. "You were adopted by their parents?" I said, and turned to him. "Yeah, we grew up together. They're in Australia. We sometimes go and visit them, but we're here most of the time." he said. "Cool." I said. "What about you?" he said, and looked at me. "What about me?" I asked. 

"Your parents? How did you grow up?" he asked me. I looked down and my feet. "Well, I was born and raised here by my parents until I was 6."  I said. "Then?" he said. "One day, there was a fire and they, well, died." I said. "Died? You, you're joking right?" he said. I shook my head. "No, the incident is still a little blur, because I still don't know the cause of the fire, but yes, they died here in New York. I was then raised by Amaya's parents. Her parents and mine were good friends, and they entrusted me to them." I said sadly, remembering it all. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked." Leo said quietly after a while. "It's not your fault." I said. "Kiara..." he said. "Yeah?" 

"I'll always have your back." he said and smiled at me. I just smiled back. "Me too." I said, and that's how we spent the night, just looking at the stars until they had disappeared from the sky and eventually, falling asleep right there.