(1) REVIEWS: A is for Arson (Victorian Mystery)

A is for Arson by ANHorton1227 (ANHorton1227)

This may sound bad but I want to start off by saying that I had low expectations going in. Not for any real reason, but mostly I'm just not a fan of the Victorian era. Sure, it's fun for a few books and a dashing tale here and there, but I am not the sort to go after this book drooling. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised.

A is for Arson has a lot of twists and intrigue. There's enough in chapter to keep you guessing. And while it's a mystery, that's not what kept me coming back. It was for the characters. I didn't expect to like Charlotte. On paper, she was everything that should have amounted to an abrasive, uppity MC. But she wasn't. She wasn't overpowered, and she wasn't without nice qualities, either. It was a good balance. She made mistakes, competent ones we would probably all make if we were in her shoes. She was strong and steadfast and the times where she showed vulnerability REALLY hit home. In fact, I loved those bits the most.

Then there's the leading man in the story. Perfect balance of flaws. Again, this is the strongest part of the story. We really root for them, and there's no URST that drags on too long. The build up is deliberate and careful so it's actually a romance in disguise.

Overall, it was a solid read. The sight of the long, and I mean LONG, paragraphs will frighten some. But rest assured, it's not purple prose. Each word serves a purpose and it's eloquently done. In fact, the long paragraphs weren't cumbersome at all. Despite their lengths, they were smooth and easy to digest. I can see this being a book you could pluck off a shelf and sit down to with a cup of coffee. Thanks for a great read!

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.