Thick of it

"No Comment" I answered yet again and watched as the two detectives shook their heads in frustration

"It's funny you haven't given us a solid answer to one question. Got something to hide Mr Brown?" The first detective asked and I clinched my jaw at his words.

"No Comment. And I'm going to need to talk to my lawyer before I say another word." I said and the brown detective chuckled.

"You do realize this is a murder investigation right? For you to be here, there's more than likely a very, very strong case against you. If you help us get to the bottom of this, we can help you..." He trailed and for a second I looked around the room, then looked back to him before sitting forward slightly.

"...My Lawyer. Now" I said finally and he knew then, there was no way he was going to get shit out of me, and rightfully so.

"Okay My Brown. We'll leave you to it. But we will be back." He said standing slowly and his partner did too before they both left the room.

I sat in the interrogation room for what felt like a whole 24 hours before a guard finally came in to let me know I had my one phone call. I didn't know who the hell it was going to be to. I could call Mijo, he had all the info for my accounts, but I didn't even know what my bail was and if I could make it. I could call my mom, but she'd be an emotional wreck, and I would call Mani, but our last conversation was too loaded to think we could just get past it, so I called the only person I knew it made sense to.

"Kam. What happened?" I said in to the phone and I could hear her choppy breathing before she even spoke.

"Chris. I'm so happy to hear from you. I promise we're going to get you out of there okay? Are you okay? Did they hurt you?" She started, clearly rushing to get as much out of me as she could.

"I'm good Kam, I'm okay I just want to get out of here. Are the kids good?" I asked and even though I couldn't see her I was almost sure she was nodding on the other end of the phone.

"They're fine, they're with your mom. Listen, I'm going to get you out okay? Reggie ain't got shit on you forreal." She said adopting a more authoritative tone and I shook my head hearing her talk.

"Be careful what you say Kam, these calls recorded." I warned and heard her sigh.

"I know..." She said softly and I could literally hear her tearing up.

"Don't be crying Kam. I need you to be strong right now, for the kids, for my mom... For me." I admitted and heard her sigh again.

"I got yo-"

"You have 30 seconds before this call times out" The automated system announced halfway though Kam's sentence and I cleared my throat realizing this was now our reality.

"I gotta go, I'll call you again when I can." I said and she quickly let me know she was doing everything she could and that she'd let everyone know I was okay before the call abruptly cut off.