The Best Christmas Gift Of All

A/N Just a fun Christmas story. Some feels and hints at smut. Enjoy! Edited 01/04/16 

"I still don't know why we have to have everyone over tonight. It just seems so pointless." I complained as I helped John string some lights over the mirror.

"Because Sherlock, it's Christmas. It's been years since we have had any kind of Christmas party." He snapped back at me as he secured the lights.

"There is nothing wrong with that." I mumbled, stepping back with John to admire what we had done. He turned to look at me, suddenly looking very tired.

"Please Sherlock, just let me do this. I need a distraction tonight." He looked up at me and waited for me to process his statement. What would he need a distraction from? He loves this ridiculous holiday. Always wearing that god awful sweater and decorating the flat. He turned and walked into the kitchen, leaving me to piece this puzzle together myself. I opened my mouth to ask what he meant when a picture on the mantle caught my eye.

Of course: Mary and Rosamund.

This would be his first Christmas without them. Mary had taken the baby and disappeared sometime in January and even my skills couldn't find them. This must be hard for him. He loved that little baby with all he had, even if he couldn't trust Mary.

"Did you finish all of your Christmas shopping?" John had returned from the kitchen, carrying another box of decorations.

"Yes."

"Good. People should be arriving soon." I took the box from his hands and set it on the coffee table, ignoring his protests. I don't do this very often, but I needed him to know that I understood and cared. I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him close. I felt him freeze at first, unsure how to react. When your sociopathic friend suddenly hugs you I can imagine it is hard to process. It didn't take long however before he melted into my arms, wrapping his around me and tucking his face into the crook of my neck. I have never been good with emotion, which is why I hide it; lock it away so it can't bother me. But John somehow manages to incite the most emotions I have ever experienced. As we stood there hugging, I felt my heart fill with emotions. I smiled at the feeling of my blogger wrapped in my arms.

My heart broke when he pulled away. He had started to cry.

"Thank you Sherlock." I smiled back, not trusting my voice. We stood for a few moments more, before we heard the cheery voice of Mrs. Hudson coming up the stairs. We broke eye contact, John furiously wiping at his eyes. We greeted Mrs. Hudson, and took the presents from her arms. Then the party was in full swing, the guests arriving soon after. Lestrade and Molly showed up at the same time, both bringing a bottle of wine and their gifts. Then Mycroft arrived, surprising everyone. I thought for sure he wouldn't come. I had hoped he wouldn't.

As the night wore on, songs were sung, stories were shared, and laughter filled the flat. I was even convinced to play some carols on my violin. Gifts were exchanged. Everyone received an assortment of books and cd's.

I had put quite a bit of effort into everyone's gifts this year and it paid off. They were all pleased with what I had bought. Everyone had gotten their gifts but John. I hadn't given him mine yet. I knew he wouldn't appreciate it if I had given it to him in front of everyone.

The night came to an end and people stumbled out of the flat, wine and joy clouding their minds. John started to straighten up, but gave up after a few minutes. He had had more wine than most, making him incredibly unsure on his feet. I walked into my room and pulled an envelope from under my pillow.

John's present.

I was nervous to give this to him. But I felt like it had to be done. He needed to know how I felt.

I walked back into the living room to see John sitting in his chair, a present in his hands as well. My heart fluttered. He had gotten me something as well. I sat across from him and we exchanged gifts. I opened mine. It was a new shirt. Dark purple; just like my favourite shirt, the one I ruined when I fell. I looked up to thank John but froze when I saw him. He was reading the letter.

The flat was filled with silence as he read. I felt my body get increasingly more agitated. I stood, starting to walk towards my bedroom when I heard him stand. Before I could react he had spun me around and wrapped me in his arms. I instantly hugged back. Feeling his warmth and inhaling his scent.

I loved this man.

He hugged me for what seemed like forever, before pulling away slightly and placing one of his hands on my cheek.

"I am so sorry Sherlock. If I had known how you felt I never would have married her." What? Wait. Did he-? No. Not possible. He was straight. Wasn't he? His hand moved from my cheek to the back of my neck, pulling me closer. Our lips touched and I froze. Fire shot through my body at the contact. He started to pull away, and my body took over. I grabbed him by the waist and pulled him back to me, deepening the kiss. He moaned softly and gave in, opening his mouth slightly and granting my tongue access to his mouth.

I wanted him more than words could say.

I had been in control of the kiss up until that point, then our tongues met and suddenly he took over, pushing me over to the sofa, never letting our lips separate. He made me sit then climbed on top of me, only breaking the kiss long enough to do so. I ran my hands up his sides, causing him to shiver with excitement. He started placing kisses along my jawline as he fought with the buttons on my shirt. I lifted his sweater over his head and he continued his ministrations. His mouth touched over a spot just under my earlobe that sent bolts of fire through my body. I let out a breathy moan and rocked my hips up into his.

God he was good at this. He laughed into my neck and stayed at that spot, lightly sucking and nipping at the sensitive skin. He has finally gotten my shirt off and pulled away, eyes hungrily taking in my bare torso. I was filled with uncertainty as I realized that this was happening. If we didn't stop now then we would go all the way. I had to make sure he was ready for that.

"Are you sure John?"

"Oh God, yes." That was all I needed. I stood, lifting him as well and wrapping his legs around my torso. I carried him into my bedroom and placed him on the bed.

We spent the night in each other's arms, locked in an intimate embrace that I had never been in before.

It was the greatest Christmas present of all.

%