Hanahaki

art by: SkidaddleSkid20 on twitter

part 2 to Flower Petals
————

"Hanahaki."

He froze, eyes locked on his reflection in the mirror. He didn't know what to do now. The shock caused him to tear up.

Then there was a knock on the door. "Zak..? Are you okay? I heard you coughing."

Zak went pale, taking all the rose petals and shoving them into his pocket. "Y-Yeah, jus-.. just give me a second!" He yelled awkwardly as tears fell from his face.

He rinsed out the blood from the sink and washed his hands and face desperately, trying to hide any evidence of what happened.

Darryl frowned on the other side of the door. It sounded like Zak was crying, but he couldn't tell over the water running.

When Zak opened the door puffy eyed and shaken, Darryl's heart dropped. He pulled the poor broken boy into a hug. "You really don't feel good, huh?" He questioned softly. Zak's shaky hands moved to Darryl's back as he shook his head "no," letting more tears fall and soak into Darryl's shirt. He found warmth in the comforting hug for a brief second before his lungs tightened again, the beginning of another terrible cough.

In a flash, his arms moved to Darryl's chest, pushing against them hard.

Darryl stumbled backwards, caught off guard by the harsh shove. "Wha, what was that for?" He asked, taken aback. Zak stood wide eyed, not believing he had actually done that. His shaking arms remained in the air, lost and confused.

"I just... don't wanna get you sick." He lied.

Darryl decided he didn't like Zak being sick. His face lit up and he smiled when a fantastic idea came to him. "How about I go end both of our streams? And then I can make you some chicken noodle soup, okay?" He smiled softly, grabbing Zak's hand. Even though it was a question, Darryl didn't leave any room for Zak to answer as he began pulling him to the living room.

Zak's throat burned. He stared at their hands sadly.

"It must be from the contact, or any thought or anything about Darryl."

Zak didn't know much about Hanahaki. He had never done research on it, since it was sort of rare.

He only knew it came when your soulmate didn't love you back.

More tears fell from his eyes. He would have to do research later.

Darryl sat him down on the couch and wrapped him up in a blanket. After concluding Zak was snuggly enough, he walked back to his room and ended his stream, apologizing to the poor muffins.

He explained the situation of Zak being sick, and they seemed to understand.

Once that was done, he went to Zak's room and did the same thing. He mentioned he was going to be making Zak soup and the chat blew up with many "awws," and other cutesy comments.

It made Darryl blush lightly, but he pushed the feelings down. He had a soulmate. Zak had a soulmate.

They just weren't meant to be.

When the stream ended, he went back to the kitchen.

He blinked at Zak as he passed him. He was staring at the wall, crying silently. The sight disturbed Darryl. "Okay, you muffin. I'm gonna make you some soup now!" He chimed, trying to cheer his friend up.

Zak didn't move or respond.

Something seemed off about this sickness, but Darryl couldn't place his finger on it. He shrugged sadly and continued to the kitchen, preparing the soup.