Ghosting

Art by: @sorceryn_ on twitter
Request: Darryl died :( Ghost AU @Kilyaenja
completely unedited

•Zak•
3:30 pm

It's been weeks since Darryl died.
I stopped uploaded videos and went back to Florida.

Today was Darryl's funeral. I got in contact with his family and luckily, they let me attend.

Vincent tried to make time to fly out here, but everything happened so fast.

He couldn't make it.

Now it was just me, and the gravestone.

I wasn't sure how long it had been now, but the funeral was long over. I looked up to see the sun high in the sky and wipped sweat beads off my forehead.

Ironic that on a day as sad as this, the sky was so beautiful. I guess that's what Darryl deserved.

I stood up from the ground and wiped dirt off my slacks. My arms crossed and I squeezed myself for comfort, but none came.

My eyes started to sting and soon, I was crying.

"I-I'm sorry, Bad... I said I wouldn't c-cry, but..."

The sobbing came out quick, interrupting my apology. I felt empty inside.

I closed my eyes tight, trying to picture something—anything—better than this.

My heart found a terrible melody of Darryl singing about Minecraft fish at two in the morning and I smiled. The tears didn't stop, though, and when I opened my eyes and saw the grave, my smile died.

I shivered, digging my fingers into my arms harder.

"I m-miss you," I cried.

A cold feeling overcame me, like someone kicked on an outdoor air conditioner.

Which was basically impossible, but the air felt comforting. Like I was standing in a freezer being hugged.

I gave the grave one last look before turning away and heading home.

"Bye, D-Darryl..."

•~~~~~•

January 3, 2020  2:33 pm

Darryl:
SKEPPY
GET ON RIGHT NOW
SKEPPY
GET ON
GET ON
GET ON

Zak:
looooollll i'll b on in a sec
jeez
read 2:36 pm

Wednesday 12:02 am

Zak:
i miss you
delivered 12:06 am

•~~~~~•

12:02 am
I lay in bed, sobbing into my pillow. I felt like I had wasted the rest of the day doing nothing but blankly staring off into space, and now that I was in bed I couldn't sleep. I was only capable of reading through all the texts Darryl and I shared and crying.

Sending a message meant nothing when Darryl couldn't read it, but...

Darryl

Did you know that as a ghost you can still feel pain?

Seeing everyone at my funeral brought me a sense of melancholy, and then I saw Zak and that melancholy turned into despair.

He spent hours at the grave site, saying nothing. I sat beside him, trying to imagine what was going through his head.