14

"You're doing that wrong".

I tried not to growl at my brother, instead I settled for a depressed sigh. "Then show me how do it".

Alec tusked and ran a hand through his already messy blonde hair. "I have though, like a hundred times. I think you're just beyond hope".

This time I actually growled causing Alec to lift an amused eyebrow at me. I sighed in annoyance my eyes now staring down my math problem. If a=4 and 567a-567y / 65a (9874y-34) , then y= 

I could feel Alec's eyes watching my every move or more so my hand. I can't figure this shit out, it's bullshit. Y=bullshit. That's all I've got...

When it was clear I wasn't going to write anything Alec groaned across from me and sighed dramatically. "Avery, we've been over this like ten times already!. What's the first step?!?"

I bit lip, as if that'd somehow not make me cry in frustration. "I don't know!".

He looked at me in exasperation. "You. Carry. The. One.".  He was growling at me now, both of us near breaking point.

I huffed and stared back at the problem before meeting my handsome brother's pissed off face. "But Alec, there's no one in the problem?".

Alec all but blinked at me before literally banging his head on the dining table. He sounded in pain but I knew that couldn't hurt people like us. "I-I can't. It's impossible. Teaching you math is literally impossible".

 I tusked, not at all in the mood for his dramatics. "Anna doesn't seem to have any problems tutoring me".

Alec raised his head off the table and blanched at me, as if he was going to puke. "That's because she's stupidly perfect".

I huffed. "Well, jus-"

A cough broke our  stare down and I turned behind me to see Anna, looking down at Alec in betrayal. I cringed and faced Alec, he slumped in his chair and avoided eye contact with her. 

She clicked her tongue in disappointment. "You're not even going to say sorry?".

Alec shrugged casually. "I don't know, are you still dating that human boy?"

She scoffed. "So what if I am".

I shuddered a little. We shouldn't talk about it, not here. "Mum's home". I whispered it, more so for Anna's benefit. 

Alec's face turned serious and I could hear Anna's heart beat increase. "Y-you want me to get caught!".

Alec shrugged again, although this time it was more cruel then casual. "Better we punish you now for just dating him. Wouldn't want to risk exposure, dear sister".

Anna inhaled behind me. "I wouldn't do that. A-after what happened to you , I would never do that!".

Alec released an amused chuckle. "But you didn't learn from it, did you?. You're going to make the same mistake that I did. And I was lucky, if the Hales find out then they won't hesitate. They'll tell father and he'll have no choice but to hand you off to Tahlia".

I felt myself sinking into my chair, the unnoticed sibling while they stared at each other. That's my fate. At any second Peter could tell Tahlia that I kissed Derek and then...she could rightfully go to my father and end me. 

"..stop interrogating me you're scaring Avery!".

Instantly Alec's eyes fell onto me. And they softened instantly, I guess because they're both mature they can smell my fear. I bit my lip in guilt, if only they knew the real reason I'm scared.

It was a quiet trip to school the next day. That is until Anna couldn't handle the silence anymore. "No one would do anything if he finds out anyways". She muttered it, but it's not like my supernatural ears wouldn't pick it up.

My eyes all but grew two sizes. "They'd kill you!".

She stiffened before she shook her head. "I'm sure Derek's old girlfriend knew".

I swallowed, suddenly more scared that Derek's been brought up in what could be a fatal conversation. "And she's literally dead now. So maybe Tahlia killed her for knowing too much before father found out about it. Personally, I don't think we should be looking at their pack for wether or not to break the feud. You know, just on the off chance they decided to...I don't know,  kill you both".

Hypocrite. I'm such a hypocrite. I've broken the feud once, twice maybe three times now. All thanks to Derek. Okay, so yesterday was totally my fault but other than that...

She huffed. "I'm just saying. Alec and Derek both let it slip. You really think father and Thalia didn't know about it? Nothing in this town happens without those two knowing about it".

I shook my head. "They were both young, un-matured wolves. You're eighteen and father only probably let Derek off because Thalia didn't kill Alec. Why she didn't? I don't know. But I do know they made a deal. Probably a favour for a favour. And now they're even so it means you get killed  if Aaron finds out".

She swung the car into the nearest park, rather aggressively if I'm being honest. Aaron was already waiting, leaning against a pole. His eyes nearly lit up at seeing my sister in the drivers seat. 

I sighed. "Just watch what you say around him, yeah?"

She turned to me and for once I didn't see her as perfect. I saw her as the exact opposite, vulnerable. "Yeah, don't worry. I know what I'm doing".

I got out of the car as quickly as I could. Nearly having to run to avoid him. I sighed in annoyance when he make eye contact with me. "Morning Avery!"

I scoffed at him, he's too chirpy for someone that could cause my sister her fate. I clicked my tongue in disgust. "Aaron".

Without so much as another glance I walked into the main building.

I was mad, mad at my sister and mad I'm too dumb to keep up with math. I'm dreading the class. I could feel a pit start to grow in my stomach the more I thought about the fact that I didn't complete the homework. I'm fucked. I started to slowly walk to the class, more of a dawdle. That is, until my mind came up with one beautiful little word. 

Skip.