23

I leant against the wall of Beacon Hills mall and exhaled. Infront of me was Alec, hand running frustratedly through his hair as he growled in annoyance. He paced continuously while staring at his phone like its a life line. 

Dial tone. And of course Anna's stupid voice:

...Hey there! You've reached Anna Wood. If I had the time I'd get back to you. But if you're on this message bank then your not important enough to have my actual phone number, peace.

I winced. I knew Anna and Alec don't always get along but that's just brutal. He stared at me and I could feel his anger spiking. "What number do you have her under?".

I scoffed."One that works."

I handed him my phone and took a step back, even though he's a mature wolf...he looks close to snapping. Probbaly because as the oldest its his responsibility to fix this without the pack finding out and punishing us. Or the Hales finding out and killing Ann-

"Anna I don't care. It's an order from Sir. He wants all pack members there tonight at ten and accounted for. No excuses". He hung up straight away, snapping my phone down dramatically.It's a flip phone and I worried he might've just broken it.

Alec then turned to me and shrugged casually. "Old distrillery tonight at ten. That's in no-mans land so make sure your not followed".

I nodded. I hate that place. "A boy from Ennis' pack died in there".

Not to mention the failed treaty with the Argents and Decalian's pack. He smirked and shrugged. "Don't worry all the packs are long gone now and the hunters are most likely to stick to the woods. Not they'd be out anyways, not even a full moon tonight".

I sighed. It does make sense to meet there. Its safe, not in our territory so members of our pack won't be there. And the Hales shouldn't even be sniffing around in respect to the fallen wolves and what recently occured there. I gave him what I hoped is a convincing smile. "Okay, tonight at ten. And she's definitely coming?".

He chuckled and bumped my shoulder. "Would you ever not show up to an emergency pack meeting?".

I didn't even need to think about the answer. Not showing up to something like that, and you'd face a fate worse than death.

It was around nine thrity when I snuck out of the mansion undedected. Not that I have a curfew or anything. But still, no one bothered to ask where I was even going. Suppose to werewolves its just common to leave the den and come back. So in my defence I was going good time wise. 

I'd probably make it there with about ten minutes to spare. Which is great. I'm sticking to the plan and I'll just follow Alec because I'm under the naive believe that he can magically fix this mess. A mess that could cost all of us our lives...well, technically its Anna's life on the line. But going behind our own packs back? Well then all three of us are on the chopping block. But still I'd be willing to do anything to stop Tahlia from killing my sist-

"Bit late for a walk, isn't it?".

Fuck.

Derek. I've only been in no-mans land for ten minutes and already he's here. In the middle of the night. I scoffed and turned around to face those georgous green eyes. "I could ask you the same thing".

He smiked and shrugged. "Yeah, but I asked you first".

I bit my lip. Do I lie?...I have to lie. He's a Hale and if he finds out then he's within his rights to tell Tahlia. Who'd go to the emissary and kill Anna. She'll be a betrayer of peace, who am I kidding? she already is. 

I opened my mouth and closed it before I shrugged back, pretending to be at ease. When really I'm freaking out because I'll be late, and I can't be late for this. "It's...a thing I have to get done".

I stared at up the sky in frustration at myself. Good one, that tells him nothing and that I don't want him to know what I'm doing.

He tusked and nodded to himself. "What kind of thing?".

I frowned before I shook my head and started walking away from him. "Just a thing".

Of course that only caused him to follow me, so I stopped causing him to stop. I turned to find him leaning casually against the nearest tree while he rose his eyebrows at me in amusment. 

All I want to do is walk up to him and tell him that I feel the same way. That I love him. That staring at him like this causes the most intense feeling in my stomach. How he's the only reason I'm able to control my shifts. Most importantly, I want to tell him to never find his mate because I don't ever think I'll be able to recover from that kind of heartbreak. That I'll never be able to get over him.

But I can't. If I get too close then his scent will linger on me. And my siblings, both being matured will smell his scent on me in a heartbeat. I bit my lip, I don't have time to jump into the nearest lake if he touches me and somehow make it back to the dissilary by ten. 

I rubbed my neck and took two steps back causing him to instanly frown, hurt and rejection clouding his features. "I-I'm sorry but I have to go. Really, you have no idea how much I want to stay here and fight with you until we make up".

He pushed himself off the tree and started coming closer, to which I kept easing back. His frowned deepend. "Then stay".

It was so simple. A simple plea and honestly it sounded like heaven. One little word, stay. Stay with Derek, alone. The two of us against that tree, a night of love under the moonlight. We'll fight until our throats bleed and then we'll kiss it away as we both heal supernatually together. The longing was clear on both our faces and I could feel the need to touch him, a need I knew he felt too. Which is why he asked. "What's wrong?".

I swallowed while pushing my arm out in warning. "Nothing I just can't have your scent on me right now".

He scoffed. "Why?. You always find a way around it, right? I thought you loved my scent!".

To a human it wouldn't be so offence but to wolves it is. Derek's taking it personally which tells me everything. It means he actually does love me. To wolves 'scenting' is like marking your home or your mate. It means he feels like I'm his home

I tried to hide my excitment at the realisation. Derek on the other-hand was still looking at me expectantly. Too hurt to recognise the slip of the tongue, or maybe he just simply doesn't care. I mean he already told me he loves me. Its just, seeing the proof is different and makes it all the more harder to leave him here. Vulnerable, hurt and alone. 

I shook my head at him. "Its not like that. I'm meeting with my pack and I don't have time to get rid of your scent and not be late".

God, I hope I haven't just killed my sister.

He tipped his head at me in confusion. "Why would you be having a pack meeting outside your territory?".

Its a good question. He knows now something is wrong. But I can't betray her, even if it lifts that look of concern from his face. I sniffed. "I can't tell you. You just have to trust me. Trust me, that its okay and that it'd be serious for me if my pack found your scent on me when I'm there".

He could smell my fear, fear for him. Something on his face switched to understanding and he nodded gravely. "Only if you promise me that you'll howel if you need my help".

It wasn't a question, it was a statment. One I didn't feel was necessary but I felt myself nod despite everything. "I promise".

So he let me go and I walked alone. Because we knew we had too. If we wanted to keep ourselves safe from my pack then we had to be seperate. It calmed me, knowing he knew better than to follow me. Becuase if my siblings found him listening in, despite being in no-mans land, despite everything. To save Anna's life I know they'd choose her over Derek and break the treaty.

Question is:

....would I?.