38

I stood still with bated breath on the boundary line. The small rays the escape through the tree tops are her death sentence. It has me biting my lip to stop myself from whispering something stupid like show up...show up you idiot. 

But she's not here. That's painfully clear and whats worse is that its dawn. As promised, Thalia has been out here all night but at five thirty the rest of the Hale pack joined her. So now we're here in one big group waiting...

Waiting...

Come on, Annna...

I know its hopeless. Father said there will be war, I know deep down that she hasn't left that cell. All I feel as I see the emerging sun is pain. I jump slightly as Derek's hand holds mine as if he can feel that intern struggle, and I rip my hand out of his grip when I remember he actually can.  The fight from the way over here is too fresh. Too raw...

Derek shook his head. "She's been sentenced to death by the Emmissay. We both know she won't show up. Going back after war is delcared is only going to get yourself killed!".

I scoffed though I could feel tears start to well up in my eyes. "And what if it was Laura? O-or even Cora?. Would you be able to stand around my pack everyday playing happy families knowing they're the reason your sister is in the ground?".

The silence was defening. He looked torn but he slightly shook his head. "I don't know what I'd do, but I wouldn't sacrifce myself for no reason".

I sniffed. "They wouldn't kill me".

He laughed darkly. "You don't believe that though".

I couldn't rebutt his bluff because unlike all the other times we've fought, I knew that was how I actually felt. And so does Derek.

As the sun had fully risen I could feel all hope lose me. My eyes had turned pleadingly to Thalia. The alpha in question stood tall and proud with her hands clasped calmly infront of her. Like this is any other Sunday morning.  Her face seemed to bask in the morning rays showing a mature beauty. She sighed. "We shall be at war but we will not make the first move".

With that she'd transformed with grace from a proud woman to a wild wolf and had trotted away from us. Probbably to inform the Emmissary. 

Derek sighed behind me. "This is good Avery, we won't kill Anna unless they kill us first".

Yeah, and what good is not making the first move when the real first move was labeling my sister a betrayer of peace?. My sister is dead because she didn't show up today. Not making the first move may even force the Emmissary to tell my father to kill Anna. If that's what Tahlia wishes for her punishment, for the Woods to carry out the punishment it still validates the treaty.

I'm an idiot and Thalia is a mastermind. 

I shook my head at Derek and turned to a smug Peter instead. "You were right".

He tipped his head at me and smirked. "I always am".

A/N:

I know its a short chapter but I just didn't know how to transition it to the next scene so yeah?. Anyways thanks for reading will try to publish more soon.