11

I ignored his pleading glances. I ignored his constant whispers to get my attention. In fact I pretended that Hale was just empty air. Not here and therefore not a danger to my life. I don't know what's been going on with me the last couple of weeks. But it's stupid to be civil with Derek Hale. Stupid that I kissed him in the woods. Stupid I let him turn into my anchor. I need a new one. Be it anger, happiness or sadness. I'll find it somehow...

The bell rang signalling the end of Mr Harris' chemistry class and I was out of the room as soon as I grabbed my stuff. I needed to find Anna. She can help me find it, if I tell her I'm about to wolf out right now then she'll be forced to help me. Otherwise she'd be risking exposure and thus she'd break the feud. My sister is many things but she's not an idiot. 

I followed the scent of my sister, it seemed stronger the closer I got to the senior corridor. I smirked. There she was, making out with her human boyfriend. I walked up behind the pair and coughed to signal my presence. 

Anna detangled herself from her boyfriend and stared at me expectantly. "What? I'm busy".

I clicked my tongue in disapproval. Anna's boyfriend was cute I guess. Brown hair, slight freckles on his nose and pretty blue eyes. Based off his jumper he's also on the basketball team, go figure. He stared at me in annoyance, matching my sister's face. I sighed. "I need your help with...". I paused and looked briefly at the boy before staring back at Anna. "Something".

She scoffed. "Can it wait?".

I shook my head. "Nope".

God if looks could kill. She turned to her human boyfriend with a sigh. "Aaron I have to help my sister with something. I'll see you after school, okay?".

He smiled down at her and brushed a piece of her hair behind her ear. "Okay". Annnd their tongue tied again, gross.

I huffed in annoyance. "Anna come on, it's important!".

Another longing stare, a dramatic sigh from my sister and he finally left. I huffed. "Getting a bit attached don't you think?".

Anna scoffed while reapplying her lipstick in the mirror. "You wouldn't understand".

I tipped my head in confusion, my face creeping into the corner of her little mirror. "What's there to understand? You'll just hurt his feelings when father finds out. Or even worse you could find your mate at my coming of age ceremony...".

Her eyes connected with mine in the mirror, I gulped when they turned gold. With a growl my sister slammed her locker shut, her normal eyes now on me but no less menacing. "It doesn't matter. I love him".

I bit my lip to hide my amusement. "No you don't".

It was comical. My perfect older sister in love with a human. I giggled at her angry face. "He doesn't strike me as Harvard material. Plus, when you find your mate I doubt you'll even care to remember his name". 

Anna rolled her eyes and tusked at me. "You've never been in love, you wouldn't understand".

I can't believe I'm hearing this. I frowned. "I know the law of our kind. No wolf has ever refused their mate over a human. It's simple fact, regardless if you're already in love".

She shrugged and flipped her hair. "Perhaps I'll be the first".

I've never seen her like this. Never see her break the rules. Hell she's the definition of perfection yet she's in love with a human!?!

I chewed my lip in slight worry. "You know, a few years ago I remember Alec saying something very similar".

I swear her heart rate just increased. "This isn't like that. I don't make mistakes. Ever."

I didn't get any help from Anna apart from; 'As if! I can't teach you that in twenty minutes Avery! Just lock yourself in a stall until the end of the day'. 

So yeah not helpful. I'm currently sitting with my friends while they discuss god knows what. I felt too distracted to join in on the conversation. Derek Hale is sitting alone with his sister Laura, the both of them taking turns to watch me. I normally wouldn't find it suspicious but their not talking. Five tables away and yet I can't even hear a peep. Why? Like it's super weird, right?...

I looked at a few tables around me and saw Anna making out with Aaron. I'm not even surprised more weirded out and worried. I blew out a breath of annoyance and walked out of the cafeteria. I was vaguely aware of my questioning friends but none followed me. I just needed some alone time to think.

I need to think about how I feel about Anna getting too involved with that boy, the whole Hale situation and just turning sixteen in general. I found a deserted part of the library. Towards the back and in between two selves of books. Before I could stop my eyes had filled with tears and I slumped against a shelf. Huddled up with my head resting on knees. 

I'm not ready. I'll be sixteen in exactly six weeks now. I don't want to leave beacon hills and have a different Alpha. I like my pack just the way it is. I don't want to be so desperately in love that I lose apart of myself like my mother has. I don't want a soulmate at sixteen. I don't want Anna to die because Aaron accidentally finds out. I don't want my pack to find out I went on Hale territory or that Tahlia Hale refused to kill me. Or that Derek went on our territory and I let him go or tha-

"You smell sad".

I sniffed and rose my head to find three Hale's starring down at me. Peter, unlike Laura and Derek wore an amused smile. "Actually it's more like scared, anxious and the annoyance that is teenage angst."

Laura and Derek both glared at Peter and well I just stared blankly at all three of them. I huffed and stared at the shelf opposite me. "I'm not supposed to be talking to any of you, so leave".

Derek chuckled above me. "When has that ever stopped you before?".

I bit my lip, and refused to meet any of their stares. "It feels different now. My pack won't approve".

I heard him sigh above me. "What'd they do to you, huh?"

He said as if he was genuinely worried, genuinely cared. It had me raising my head to meet those pretty hazel eyes. "Stuff".

Laura snorted and Derek instantly hit her shoulder to shut up. He smirked at me, his head cocking to the side. "So, because of 'stuff' you're crying alone in a library? Or is it Anna? I saw you talking to her today and you looked..put out".

I blew out an annoyed breath and glared at him. "How do you do it?"

I noticed that Laura and the Creeper left, for some reason they're fine with leaving Derek and myself alone. His eyebrows raised in confusion as he sat opposite me. "Do what?".

I swallowed, my eyes on his. "Stay in control on a full moon?". Apart from being a mature wolf there has to be something he clings to, to stay human...

He smirked and his eyes lit up. "I think of you. Why, what do you?".

I felt myself shake my head in frustrated amusement. "I think of you".