9

My breathing had instantly increased and the claws were out. 

"Avery". 

Ignore him. 

"Put them away!". I lifted my head slowly in annoyance and glared at Hale. 

I took a shaky breath. "You don't think I'm trying!".

His green eyes kept darting between the doors and myself, sitting on the other end of chairs outside the principles office. I huffed. "Can you at least calm your pulse! I can't relax with it drumming in my ears relentlessly".

He swallowed. "Someone from your den has just entered the school grounds".

I met his eyes again. He was serious. 

I bit my lip. "I can't smell anything".

He shook his head at me, his whole body tense. "That's cause you're not in control. Is it your father?".

I shot him a blank look. "How would I know if I can't smell em'!?! You're the mature wolf here, you tell me".

He clicked his tongue in annoyance. "Like I know each member of the Wood pack well enough to tell them apart by scent".

I suddenly swallowed in fear. "...Tahlia".

Derek's eyebrow raised up in confusion. I felt my claws retract in fear, how that's possible I don't know. My head stared down the doors on the right, Hale's head whipped to the doors on the left.

Two women, Two wolves entered the reception area of Beacon Hill Highschool. They stood proudly in each doorway of reception. As if in symbolism to the ancient feud and the two families in which it held.   

...it's my mother. Her eyes swept over the entire room as though it was beneath her. Once her eyes landed on me she tusked. "Avery, here, now!"

It was muttered so quietly that the only ones capable of hearing it were the Hale's and myself. A sort of supernatural whisper that had to be taught. She'd so far not acknowledged the alpha, instead she played on her instincts. Instincts to protect her pup, that pup being me. I gulped before walking over to her with my head to the side. A sign of submission.

My mother put two of her manicured fingers under my chin and raised my eyes to meet hers. I gulped while she raised a pretty eyebrow on her perfectly sculpted face. "La route est dure mais c'est notre route".

Yeah, I wasn't kidding when I said we don't take our motto lightly. I felt my breath leave my body. My mother basically just promised me I'd be punished tonight. I bit my lip. "It was nothing, just passing notes. I swear, that's it".

My mother scoffed. "Please, I read the note. It's one thing to be talking to one of them. Another thing entirely to risk exposure. You've risked ourselves, our family and our pack. This is why we punish according, so we can remember and we survive by never doing it again".

I rolled my eyes slightly. "I'm not a child, I know what 'La route est dure mais c'est notre route', means. And I didn't risk exposure, so no punishment".

My mother leaned into my ear and whispered. "I'm surprised you can't smell it from all the way over here".

Oh shit. I had risked exposure...with a Hale! Dead. I'm dead. 

I turned behind me hopefully to see Hale in a similar position as myself. Instead Tahlia sat proudly beside her son, the two of them growling lowly at my mother, who scoffed and gripped my shoulder. "I'll ease him into it".

A choked laugh of defeat left my mouth. "You could always not tell him".

She sighed. "I can't keep a secret like that from my mate, you know that".