24

"You're late, Avery".

I walked into the abandoned distillery not all surprised Alec knew I was here before I'd entered. They both stood side by side expectantly. Behind them was the giant spiral. As if to foreshadow the consequences of what we're here to discuss. 

Anna craned her neck behind me and scoffed. "Where's everyone else?".

Alec's blue eyes pierced mine and with a curt nod I slammed the door of the distillery shut. I leant against it with my arms crossed over my stomach and shot a pointed look at Anna. "Trust me, you don't want them here".

She clicked her tongue in annoyance. "What is this then? An intervention?...Is this about your p-"

Alec tipped his head at her in warning. "Cut the shit Anna. We know".

Her eyebrows creased in suspicion and I could see her eyes filter through a hundred different possibilities. It made me question what other secrets my sister was hiding. I cleared my throat but still leant against the door. Alec's idea so she can't escape. "You lied to me today".

Now she laughed. It caused both Alec and I to growl but she ignored us. She turned to me in disbelief. "Avery, you literally lie to me everyday. I'm feeling stressed about my math test. Ring any bells?".

I scoffed. "Pfft I don't lie every day! And I don't sound like th-".

Alec cut me off though as if this was too painful to listen to. "We know that Aaron knows".

And just like that silence. The colour drained from her face. I swallowed nervously. When else had I forgot to rest my pulse infront of my family?. Too many lies were trouble...it could lead to them finding about Derek.

Her heart rate increased, and I could see a bead of sweat on her forehead. "I-t nots what what you think".

He took a step forwards and she whimpered. It made me think that she'd been punished before from father and I never knew. "Enlighten us then. The fact that he knows is enough for Tahlia Hale to be within her rights to execute you. And there's nothing we can do to save you, Anna!".

She sobbed. "He promised not to tell! I just lost control. We were having sex and it was heated and I j-just...".

Oh dear god. It's worse then I thought. Fully exposed. If I had ever felt my stomach fall to me feet it was from hearing that one sentence. I shook my head in fear. "She could label us betrayers of peace too for not handing her to the Hales right now!". I sniffed, she'll kill me. I'm dead. I'm like deader then dead. I was hyperventilating I'm sure and if I wasn't so in my own head then I would've noticed it. But Alec did. He'd instantly rushed over to comfort me only to make eye-contact with someone peeking through the tin wall...

One sniff and all our eyes glowed simultaneously. "Hale".

I was pushed to the ground, my brother opened the door and I looked up at the frightened Hale. Peter Hale. He looked like a deer caught in head lights. Eyes wide and mouth agape. But he quickly did the math. And dashed without hesitation.

My brother's eyes were glowing blue, claws out and the growl he let out even sent shivers down my spine. "He's dead".

I believed then that my brother would kill him. Because as long as the Creeper breathes, he has the knowledge to kill all three of us. I felt Anna walk up to my crumpled figure as she flexed her hand showcasing her claws. "Get up Avery, We have a Hale to kill".

And so I stood and cracked my neck until I felt my face morph. Die along with my siblings or kill the Creeper?...definitely kill the Creeper..

So we chased him. Alec directly behind him.  Anna and myself flanking left and right. We were in no mans land and we knew the cost. This will break the peace and start a war. But if we don't kill him, it'll be the end of our entire line, our pack. And that outweighs the peace we've enjoyed for nearly a century.

My only hope was that Derek wasn't still in here. I was scared for myself but also him. Was he still here? Was he waiting just incase I howled?. I shook my head, just focus. Focus on Peter, if I kill Peter then I can live and love Derek. B-but would Derek still love me? This is his uncle. I don't think they're close but...still.  

Anna and I were so close to cornering him but we knew he was heading to his territory, the distillery is so much closer to Hale territory. Afterall the first time father found me there was because I couldn't force myself to cross into their lands. He was at an advantage.

Alec was so close and pushed himself to stab his claws and slice him. He of clawed his neck brutally which pushed Peter into his own territory. He fell to the forest floor while Alec spread out his arms to stop us from crossing over. It played out in slow motion while the three of us skidded to a halt watching him splutter and gasp. Blood blackened and pale faced. Collectively we sighed in relief. Anna hugged Alec in gratitude and I giggled slightly in the safety of the thought of Tahlia never knowing what we currently do.

But then...oh fuck. The blood started discolouring from black to red. I watched as the fibres of his skin slowly etched together and all too soon he wasn't gasping anymore. And as we stood watching Peter Hale heal himself we knew we'd failed. Because he's still breathing and for now so are we. Come tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised if the three of us are the ones clinging to life while our family watches.

Thus with a deafening howl from my brother, I whispered my goodbyes to peace.