40

I held him close while he cried on my shoulder. There was nothing we could've done. We were simply too late. I remember the countless bodies they dragged out. Watching the house creak as the wood burned. The smoke burning my lungs with the scent of human flesh. 

Peter made it out.

That's a good thing, maybe the only good thing if you're willing to overlook the fact that he's a vegetable and burnt to a crisp. I know it's killing Derek.

I lost a sister and I'm still not over it.

He's lost everyone but his sister. 

It's an entirely different ball game. 

That's probably what caused me to march across their territory in the dead of night. That unrelenting anger I felt for my mate. Maybe if he'd marked me I would've felt nothing but grief. It would've played out different if I was consumed by his grief. I wouldn't have marched into their territory that day. It wouldn't of been the last time that I'd see him.

But he hadn't and I was angry.

So angry

This has to stop now. The feud, the bloodshed, all of it!.

I don't know what's worse, teaming up with hunters or killing innocent humans. Obviously killing humans but still, the betrayal disgusts me. It fulled me to keep going. Also, what if I'd been home? Would they have killed their own?...

I knew the way off by heart but the terrain still felt foreign. As if I needed the reminder that I'm no longer apart of this pack.

When the white mansion came into view I hurried my step. And I didn't bother to knock, they'd have scented me anyways. I pulled open those double doors dramatically and followed the scent of my father.

Like a bloodhound on the hunt I was out for blood. Only I paused when I saw the suitcases. I gulped. "What is this?".

My mother eyed me warily. "We're moving to Seattle".

I clicked my tongue. "All of you?".

Alec coughed from the window. "All of us".

I shook my head. "I'm not going anywhere with any of you".

My father than walked into the room carrying two bags that looked suspiciously like my stuff. "Of course you are. We were in this mess because of you and Anna. And now that it's finally done we're leaving".

I felt like a parrot. "Leaving? And done. You call a massacre done?".

He was so casual. Like he was discussing the weather and not killing off the second most powerful pack in existence. 

Father nodded. "We did it for you. They killed your sister, your mate and Peter. They slaughtered her together. We couldn't let you live with them after that. Killing Tahlia makes your promise to her over. You no longer have to worry about curses and destruction that will follow you around. You are no longer apart of their pack".

I could feel it. The weight had been lifted. I haven't submitted to Laura yet but nobody had. Not even Derek, they're too busy crying and mourning to strengthen the pack. And until Derek submits to Laura, I won't feel the need to submit to her. 

No pack. An omega.

A frightening thought and now my reality.

I instantly shook my head. "He wouldn't do that, I don't believe you".

Alec shook his head in outrage. "How could you not think we'd try and save you from them?. We weren't really going to let you stay there. We couldn't risk telling you because we didn't know if you'd come alone".