15

Look, I don't normally skip. Or not do my homework. But today I guess I just can't face it all. I'm stressed the fuck out about well, everything. And I swear to god! Life would be so much easier if I wasn't a teenage werewolf. I decided to hide out in the forest. More so in neutral territory. I couldn't risk my scent lingering around my own territory, it's too much of a giveaway.

"Shouldn't you be in school?".

I felt myself smirk before turning around to face my brother. His golden hair was messy and yet he wore chinos and a polo shirt. I tusked. "Shouldn't you be following Sir around like a good little alpha prodigy?".

He smirked and shrugged. "Eh, reckon I'd see what you'd be willing to pay me to keep my mouth shut".

I scoffed. "Pay you?. I don't have a job idiot. If I want something then I go to the parentals. Plus, you have a law degree, why don't you put it to good use".

He shrugged again. "Like you said.." he indicated to himself. "Alpha prodigy. The law degree is more for the humans if they start asking too many questions. You know, like why we can afford a fancy mansion in a town like Beacon Hills".

I sighed and stared at a tree. "Whatever". I knew deep down Alec actually wanted to be a lawyer. Well, a practicing lawyer anyways. But he's birthright is to become Alpha of the most prestigious pack in America. He doesn't have a choic-

"Do I have to ply it out of you then?".

I stared up at his expecting face in confusion. He sighed. "You scent is covered in anxiety and obviously your not at school. So, what's wrong?".

I scoffed. What's wrong? Hmmm I don't know, everything!. I bit my lip and stared at my brother, his crystal blue eyes matched my own. "Is there a cure?".

He stared me down long and hard before he sighed. "Is this about turning sixteen?".

I shook my head and looked at him pointedly. "You're avoiding the question".

He sighed and gave me a sympathetic smile. "I heard of a few, for bitten wolves. It's something we're born with Avery, it can't be taken away".

I tore my eyes from his and stared down at the dirt. "I don't want it".

I heard his approaching footsteps and felt his hand on my shoulder. He gripped it tightly, not like my mother, more gentle. "When you leave here today don't ever mention this again. The pack won't respond kindly to it". 

I stared back at him. Alec was always the one I could talk about things with. But suddenly he was all business. Eyes hard, grip tightening and a clear message. Never say it out loud again.

Alec left shortly after that and I spend hours wondering around the forest. Keeping in neutral territory the entire time. I didn't have any real destination in mind. I just knew I didn't want to go home or back to school. 

I heard a twig snap and whipped my head behind me to find Derek Hale smirking at me. "What are you doing, Avery?

I still don't know how I feel about using eachother's first names. I sighed. "Avoiding math".

He chuckled and tipped his head to me. "Math finished two hours ago".

I cringed. "Well, in that case I'm avoiding chemistry. What are you doing out here Derek?".

He shrugged and stepped closer to me. "Turns out school isn't as fun without a Wood to make fun of".

I scoffed and stepped closer. "You know, it almost sounds like you missed me".

He stepped closer and his smirk widened. "So, what if I did?".

I faltered slightly because well, I'm almost happy he did. I tried not to let it show. "I-I'd say it's probably in your best interest not too".

He leaned forward and rested his lips against my ear, causing me to shiver. "You'd think by fifteen you'd learn to rest your pulse, liar".

I scoffed and pushed him away. He rose his eyebrows in amusement. "Want to do something fun then?".

I bit my lip in hesitation. "Like what?".

"C'mon". Before I knew it, my hand was in his and I let him pull me to god knows where.

We were running for a while hand in hand before I suddenly pulled him back. He stopped and turned to me in confusion as I stared out at his territory, the both of us near the boundary. I looked up into those green eyes and bit my lip. "What does it feel like?".

I felt his thumb brush my hand and he whispered. "What does what feel like?".

I swallowed and stared out at the trees I'd never be able to run around. "When I look out at your territory or come too close to the line. I feel this warmth, like it's comforting."

 I sighed. He probably thinks I'm crazy.

Instead he surprised the crap out of me. He smirked, kissed my forehead and smiled out at his territory in almost pride. "Weird".

I scoffed and pushed his hand off mine. "Liar".

He doesn't think it's weird at all. In fact, I'd say he knows exactly why I felt that way. I looked up at him betrayal and confusion. "You'd think that by sixteen you'd learn to rest your pulse".

"Shouldn't you two be in school?". 

Fuck!

Tahlia Hale

My head was instantly down and I kept my eyes on the dirt of the forest floor. I know she can probably hear my heart pounding rapidly in my chest. Probably be able to smell my fear too. If she was looking at me then I wouldn't look up at her. No, this is Derek's problem now. 

She can't kill me I wasn't on her territory. She can't kill me, she can't kill me...

I heard her sigh and I felt her hand on my cheek, lifting up my head to meet her gaze. I rightly refused, instead I squeezed my eyes tighter.