34

I stood at the boundary, Derek's hand holding mine captive in his own. "I don't like it".

I shuddered. "Its Anna. I believe her".

He snorted. "Its Anna. You shouldn't believe her".

I looked up at the side of his face, anguish was written all over it. "You'd do the same for Laura".

He shook his head. "Her eyes are blue and your pack is keeping her in the dungeons because even they think she's guilty".

I bit my lip. "Your eyes are blue".

He nodded, gaurded but pained. "And...they didn't get that way from killing something like a bug".

I gripped his hand tighter. "I was with her the entire time. You weren't there when we found his body. S-she...it wasn't her". I nodded, as if I was the one that needed convincing.

Derek exhaled and faced me. Uncertainty written on his face. "I know she's your sister. But you said it yourself. Her eyes are blue, Avery. Either way she's a killer. Just like everyone else in your family".

I shook my head. But the evidence was overwhelming. I felt him cup my cheek, my eyes looking up into those green ones that held me captive. I shook my head. "I know what it looks like, but it wasn't her. She w-wouldn't...couldn't..."

I don't even know what I'm trying to convince him of now. That she's innocent or that despite all the evidence that points to her, even if she told me that she did do it. That there's no way I'd let Tahlia kill her. I looked away and shuddered from the loss of contact. "Maybe another body will show up but...I need to go now".

He tipped his head to the side in fake consideration. "Sure, to be tourtured and go against my pack. Sounds like a great plan". Sarcasm was dripping off every word.

I rolled my eyes. "Your mother is going to take one look at her eyes and label her guilty. Lord knows, my pack already has".

He nodded, anger spiking between us like a bull ready to charge. "Wether you like it or not. Your sister is as good as dead. And if you cross that line then there's no coming back, Avery. You cross me, my pack and your stuck with them".

I scoffed. "Your not going to make me choose between you and my sister".

He took a step closer, and rose a challenging eyebrow at me. "Try me. Either way, she's dead. You really think the Emissary is going to continue letting us kill all these humans?. We're one death away from the humans looking into the only two houses between the forest where everyone is being killed". 

I scoffed. "I don't care. I'm not leaving them. I'm not going to leave her".

Derek shook his head. "Not handing Anna over at dawn is an open act of war. You know what that means".

I frowned. "I'd never hurt you, or your pack".

He tusked. "But your pack will. That's war. People die on both sides".

I sniffed. "It doesn't mean Anna needs to die to prevent it".

We stared the other down until Derek pulled me close. I was stuck to his chest inhaling his scent. "Don't cross."

I exhaled, enjoying that tingling sensation that went through me. "If there's a war, you know I'll fight for you. But I can't just stand by and watch my family kill yours and vis versa".

I heard him pause. "You know I can't let you do that".

I shook my head. "I can convince them. I'll tell them everything. That we're mates and that I can convince Tahlia not kill Anna".