26

We sat, we stared and we waited.

Nothing but the sound of a ticking clock and ragged breathing. I watched those hands tick like my life depended on it because it does. That is, until..

"That's midnight". 

I exhaled and watched as Anna ran a hand through her hair nervously. "S-seven days...its not a lot of time".

Alec's eyebrows creased as he bit his lip in thought. "Its more than anyones ever gotten before".

It was a tense silence that fell between us. And I had that dangerous thought that maybe now, while the three of us have formed this alliance outside of the pack. That now, would be the perfect time to tell someone about what I've done. 

Broken the feud and secret meetings with Tahlia Hale. Now is a good opportunity to pipe up. Before my ceremony and before the packs. Although, there's a small voice in the back of my head that's screaming not too. The selfish part. The part that hopes my mate will be there tomorrow so I can go home with them and leave this feud behind me. 

Then that way my reputation is fine and its only Anna whose the betrayer of peace in our family. The only one with a potential death sentence.

Anna sniffed causing Alec and I to stare at her. She was staring at her phone in dread and grasping it so hard to the point her knuckles were turing white. "Aaron isn't answering my texts. You don't thi-"

Alec threw his head back and gave her a 'you're kidding me!?!' look.

"Are you fucking serious, Anna!?!. Your life is on the line. And you're worried about the boy whose basically killed you with your own recklessness!. Avery and I are now apart of this. We're going against the pack, for you!. And all you care about is that stupid human boy who probably doesn't even love you!".

He shook his head at her in disgust before standing up and heading towards the door before he paused and turned to me. "Come on Avery. Lets leave her alone with her un-responsive killer human".

Anna scoffed and stood while glaring at him in outrage. "Unlike you, Aaron has never killed anyone!".

Alec laughed but it was sarcastic and cruel. "But thats where you're wrong. He's killed you. Give Tahlia Hale my regards".

He then turned on his heel and beckoned me to follow. My sister looked frozen in shock. I don't even think she noticed my sympathetic smile as I scurried after Alec. I felt like a hypocrite following after my brother and not staying with Anna. Afterall, just a couple of months ago I was in her shoes.

I met my brother in the hallway and I stared as he glared at the ceiling. I sighed. "If Tahlia spared you, then maybe she'll spare Anna too".

He shook his head. "She didn't find out until her son exposed us to that dead girl. And Tahlia  didn't kill me when she knew because then father would've killed her son for the same thing. The Hales won't make that mistake again, I'm suprised a member of our pack has...".

I wanted to yell out how wrong he was. That the reality was our biggest fear. Tahlia had always known, she told me over tea herself. Of course, I can't say that without exposing myself to Alec. Another thought is how lenient is Tahlia Hale?...with me and Alec I'd say exceptionally. But I've broken the feud so many times in the past few months and one can only disrespect an Alpha so many times...

I shook my head. "You're still going to help her right?. You don't really believe she's a dead girl walking".

Alec ruffeld my hair and in my fear for Anna I let him. "Yeah, she just needs to be more focussed. She just needed a bit of sense knocked into her. Especially because when she finds her mate, he'll mean nothing to her".

I swallowed. "Is that how you feel, about her?".

We never talked about it. Even now I didn't not see the wince. As if he could still feel the pain from what father inflicted on him that night. He suddenly dropped his hand from my head and I watched his blue eyes fade to an empty void of emotion I couldn't read. "Good-night, Avery".

Everything about it was cold and abrupt. I couldn't help thinking that maybe I've lost both my siblings tonight.

A/N

Sorry its such a short chapter. I want to make her coming of age an entire chapter. So, if I wrote it with this at the start I think it might be a tad too long. And as always thanks for reading!❤️