19

I kept following the scent, with every passing second my fear increased. I'd been walking for well over an hour until I halted. There, beyond a few trees I could make out a three story house in the darkness.

I stood in awe. It's impossible. Two mansions on either end of the woods, protected by magic. The only way to find them is if they escort you or you're a member of their pack. So...how is it before me now?.

I could bet my entire life that Derek is currently in that mansion. I stood and sniffed the air, my senses overcome by his scent. I sighed and exhaled before moving forwards in trepidation. I don't have a choice.

The closer I got the more the house came into view. Just as big as mine. A perfect mansion, only they don't have a wolf as their door knocker. They have a lion. I don't know why but the lion head scared me too. 

I know they're expecting me. Probably been waiting knowing I've been in here for hours. Hell, they probably know I'm currently on their porch debating wether to knock or not. I shook my head at myself, just get it over with.

I knocked, I stood and I waited. Until someone opened the massive doors. I looked up only to suddenly look down and frown. A girl in polka dot pyjamas and pigtails opened the door with a huff. As if it was a major effort. And to be fair, to her it probably is. She's younger then thirteen which means Cora Hale is as human as Aaron. 

She frowned at me before she crinkled her nose. "You're late...and dirty".

I blinked. "Uh...I-um I'm supposed to...."

Look, even I don't know how to finish this sentence. Supposed to have tea? Or supposed to be beheaded?. I really don't know why I'm here apart from protecting my family from Tahlia's threat.

Cora tipped her head to the side in confusion. It's obvious nobody in this pack tells this kid anything. So we're at a stand still. I'm at a standstill with a ten year-old or is she nine?. I heard approaching footsteps and shrank back a bit as Laura bounced up behind Cora and swooped her up in a hug. She smiled down at her before she smirked at me. "Come on, Wood".

Cora instantly gasped beside her sister in horror. Oh yeah, she definitely doesn't get told anything. I could tell Laura had put the emphasis on my last name was for Cora's benefit. But still, I'm already petrified she doesn't have to add to it.

I walked sombrely behind the two. I feel like I'm on death row, walking to the electric chair or something. I took in their house too. While my home was ominous and gothic. Theirs was cosy and warm. Polar opposites.

Down several corridors I followed. Ignoring Cora's glare or her persistent questions she's firing at  Laura.

"She's broken the feud, hasn't she?".

"Is mum going to kill her?".

"Why aren't we taking her to the dungeon?"

I relaxed a little at that. 

"What if her pack attacks us back?".

Laura turned to her little sister and silenced her with a look. Cora gave her a sheepish smile before we continued walking. This time in silence. We stopped short of a room and Laura nodded to it. "In there".

I gulped. Before turning to Laura with a shaky breath. "W-where's Derek?".

She rose her eyebrows in amusement. "Not you're concern. She's waiting for you".

Fuck. 

I'm sure I whimpered before opening the door. I'm in a large tea room. Of course this place has a fancy tea room. Tahlia stood at the other end of the room. Tall, proud and eyes on me in pride. "I see you found my house alright".

I nodded and she indicated to the seat across from her. I walked slowly over to it and sat. Her eyes never leaving mine as she took the seat across from me and poured me a cup of tea. Breathe, just breathe.

She gave me a once over and sighed. "Derek is here if that comforts you. I just thought his presence might be a bit too distracting while we talk. But if you'd feel more at ease, I can simply call for him. I must warn you though, he simply hates this tea".

I can see why. It smells awful. I tipped my head in confusion. "You only want to talk?".

She nodded to her self. "Yes, you're quite hard to talk to without members of your pack lingering around. And I much prefer confrontations in my own territory. Especially if they involve members of my pack".

Right. A confrontation. I bit my lip and picked up my cup, knowing full well I have no intention of drinking it. "I didn't kiss your son. I-um it was accident".

I hung my head. I'd both denied it and confessed to it in one sentence. I'll be dead by the end of the night for sure.

She tusked in almost disappointment. "I highly doubt that".

She took a sip of her tea and I tried not to shake in fear. I bit my lip. "I didn't mean to go into your territory either. Well, I a-actually can't remember but I'm sure I had a reason. I wouldn't disrespect you li-".

She held up her hand to silence me. She nodded at me. "Rest assured you had a reasonable explanation to being on my land that night. You're memory on the other hand I'm keeping indefinitely".

I gulped. "The memory of Paige's death".

She sighed. "It's better for everyone involved if you forget".

I nodded enthusiastically now knowing she's not holding me accountable for breaking the feud. "Consider it forgotten then".

She smiled. 

Idiot. She took it from me, she knows I don't have anything to forget!. I could feel her eyes on me but I didn't fear my life anymore so I relaxed a bit. She pursed her lips as if in thought. "Avery, I trust you know that I asked you here for a reason".

I nodded and she smiled encouragingly at me. "I hate to put you in this situation but I need to know something important about your pack. And sadly my threat still stands if you refuse to answer my questions."

Oh shit.

A/N

I felt bad for not updating when I said I would so I made a 'cast' chapter to apologise. Feel free to check it out!