10

It wasn't my fault. That was my excuse. It wasn't sound, had way too much room for argument and showed my age. How I'd obviously hadn't done a good enough job at convincing the pack to not punish me.

Yeah, that's right. Tonight I'm referring to them all as my pack and not my family. Breaking bones. That's what my alpha did. That was my punishment. Broke both my arms and legs three times, waited for me to heal three times. Repeated the whole process three times. 

My mother watched with firm emotionless eyes. Anna looked pissed off at the start. This had officially canceled her date. My screams had instantly caused her pissed expression to turn to sympathy. Alec chose to look away. My grandparents held hands and watched on with encouraging smiles. 'Think of how much stronger you'll be when hunters catch you' is all my grandmother had to say. 

When I'd finally healed from the third round. My father bent down to my level and I pushed myself against the wall in fear. He tusked and gently kissed my forehead.  "La route est dure mais c'est notre route".

My father huffed before he growled. Anna and Alec instantly flinched like I did. I swallowed and repeated the family motto. Oh yeah, rest assured I'd learned my lesson. 

I'd never been punished before. Well not for breaking the family motto anyways. I'd been grounded for sleeping in and one time I skipped school and mum found out. But never punished formally by the pack. Alec had when he was fifteen . He'd told a girl of our kind...he exposed us.

Father didn't take it lightly. In fact compared to that, I got off easy.  I don't know what happened to that girl. I knew my brother loved her. I knew eventually he wouldn't though and find his mate. After Alec was punished I never saw her again. Not in the streets of Beacon Hills and not in the halls at school. If she died and my family was responsible then it technically doesn't go against the feud. But telling her did...it's one of my pack's biggest secrets.

The Hales don't know and that girl...sometimes I'd wonder about her. I could never ask my father about it. I wasn't game to ask Alec. A mystery. I'm surprised my father let us all keep the memory of it. Lose lips sink ships after all. 

But I remember that night. I was eleven. I remember crying as I listened to Alec screaming. Being tortured and knowing I couldn't help him. My mother had patted my head the entire time to soothe me and by the end of the night I actually believed it was for Alec's own good. That it's better he learn rather than break the feud again and die. I saw the slight fear in my father's face. As if Tahlia would somehow know and kill Alec in the dead of night. And it was the first time I can ever remember being scared of what I was. First time I ever wanted to be human because I was scared of the Hales and the feud. That fear passed but now I could feel it crawling back. 

I skipped the rest of school for that week. And I got over it. It's expected and somewhat normal. It didn't do any long lasting damage. I'd fully healed an hour after I'd repeated the motto. My parents were just being extra nice to me by letting me skip for the rest of the week. To help keep our bond and the strength of the pack intact. Can't be a strong pack if one member hates the rest of you. So yeah, quality time with family instead of school. At least I didn't have to suffer though the notebook again.

By Monday I was actually excited for school. If my grandma asks me to cook with her one more time then I might just scream. 

Anna wasted no time as she quickly parked before opening her car door and making out with her new boyfriend. I gagged, gross. I hurried, grabbing my bag and getting as far away from the school parking lot as I could. I didn't want to be exposed to that any longer than I had to.

I stopped mid step and stared at the entrance of the school. Derek, Laura and Peter stood. All of them leaning on the side of the building as if waiting for someone. As soon as his green eyes met mine a look of relief washed over Derek's brooding face. Without missing a beat Laura turned to Peter and muttered "Tell Tahlia she's okay". 

With a sigh Peter nodded, patted Derek's shoulder in comfort and casually walked into the woods. My eyes watched him go nervously. What is it to Tahlia Hale if I'm okay or not!?!

A soft hand on my cheek had me jumping. Derek stood in front of me now. Without hesitation I pushed him, using a little supernatural strength as a warning. He fell to the floor and a look of hurt and anger caused his brooding look to resurface. I heard a tusk behind me and found Anna glaring down at Derek. "Stay away from her Hale, she's obviously not interested".

A growl had me raising my head in the direction of Laura. She marched over to us. Laura was glaring at Anna with such hatred but Anna merely scoffed in amusement and turned to me. "Father said don't talk to him. So don't." 

I nodded at her. She shrugged and dragged her now confused looking boyfriend with her. Derek had wiped the dirt off him and for some reason I thought he looked good. Like he'd just been in a fight kind of good. 

Laura giggled from above me. "I guess starring is allowed then, huh Wood?"

I instantly blushed a deep shade of red and my embarrassment caused my heartbeat to increase. I'd forgotten she was here. I looked back at Derek who smirked at me instead of his brooking look.  

I bit my lip confused. "Why does Tahlia need to know I'm okay?"

I'd directed the question to Laura. She merely raised her eyebrows in amusement. "Why, you're not breaking more of your strict pack rules are you?".

She was speaking to me as if I was confused child. It angered me and I felt a small growl leave my throat.  "My pack isn't strict".

She held her hands up in defence. "Oh I'm sorry. I'm sure you're punishment wasn't strict. What'd they do to you, no TV for a week?".

She wanted to know. Based off Derek's frown at my sudden pale face I knew he did too. A sick thought entered my head. Tahlia wants to know. I don't know how I know that, it's not like I'm in their pack. But she does. As if it was my father, my instincts told me what my alpha wanted to know. But she isn't my alpha...

I broke eye contact from him and scoffed up at Laura. "You're not in my pack. You can't know. I may not be a mature wolf but I'm not an idiot. Don't bait me and both of you, leave me alone".

With that I bumped my shoulder against Derek's and entered the school.