21

"Where did you go? I even called Stacey and she said she hasn't talked to you in a month".

I slowly turned my head to face my sister who was leaning against my locker. I scoffed. "I probably just spent the night with a human boy".

Okay, so bit of a low blow but I can't deal with this right now. I basically saved our pack last night from war and I can't tell anyone. Sure, I don't expect a thank you but I don't expect to be belittled either. 

Hurt washed over her pretty face and she sniffed. "That's not funny, Avery".

Yeah it's not. And neither is Aaron. If Tahlia knew about Alec then it's only a matter of time if Anna risks exposure with him.  I sighed. "He's not totally oblivious. He probably knows more than you think".

She suddenly glared at me and inched her face close to mine so I could hear her soft growl of warning. "He knows nothing".

And skip. Oh, my god!. I felt my heart skip a beat too but in fear. She's lying, he knows...

Her eyes softened and she hugged me while I was too petrified to move. "Sorry for scaring you but next time you disappear I'm not covering again".

I choked out a meek. "Okay".

Dead. We're all dead. I shakily pulled on her hand as she was about to walk away. Her eyebrow lifted in confusion and I bit my lip. "Do you remember whatever happened to Alec's...the girl he told?".

Anna clicked her tongue in disgust. "We watched Alec....and then father took our memories of whatever happened to her." She scoffed and shook her head. "He said he took care of it. One doesn't have to guess too hard as to what happened".

She shook her head at me and strutted off to the senior corridor. Leaving me suddenly more tense than before. Twice my pack has broken the feud. We exposed our kind and we killed a human. And...Tahlia only knows about the first.

Oh, and let's not forget that my sister has exposed us to Aaron. I don't know how much he knows. But it's something. Enough to have Anna riled up, enough to maybe get us all killed.

I couldn't focus in class. My heartbeat was erratic and if Mr Harris started waving a gun around then I wouldn't even know. I had moved on to the logical idea of kidnapping Aaron. Leaving him in a ditch somewhere and feeding him gummy bears whenever I could be bothered. Sounds safer then letting him roam around freely with a loud mouth that could kill my family. 

I was vaguely aware that class had ended but I didn't move. Maybe I could give him a good scare, but then I'd be the one risking expo-

"Avery, come on". 

I slowly lifted my head up to find Derek staring down at me in concern. He'd already collected my books, which is...fucking sweet. I hastily got up and followed him out the door. Managing to collect my books back just in case Anna or Laura was around. 

We'd managed to find an empty classroom and I watched as Derek observed me as if in pain. "Do you want to talk about it?".

Nope. Not with you. It's pack business, my pack business. I hung my head and kicked a pencil across the room.

I heard him sigh. "It's about my mother right?. I'm sorry I was there, but they wouldn't let me in".

Huh. I looked up at him and his green eyes locked onto mine. No lie there. I smiled lightly. "D-did you hear what we said?".

He smiled softly. "Yeah".

I bit my lip slightly. "And does-do you think I'm different?. I'm surprised you're even talking to me".

He shrugged with a smirk. "Well, I knew you were a little twisted up there since probably pre-school".

I smiled. "And you still liked me?".

For a brief second something crossed over his features but it was too hard to place. Instantly, he'd wrapped his arms around me and whispered. "I love you".

I smiled and giggled when he kissed my cheek, my neck and then we stared into each others eyes before he kissed my lips. 

It only occurred to me an hour later when I was in math that I never said it back. He held my face waiting for it...and I said nothing.