37

As I crossed back into netrual territory the last person I expected to see was Derek. I'd assumed he'd have ran home but yet he's still here. Been here for hours. His neck is covered in dried blood. No longer was he dazed and in euphoria. He looks livid. His green eyes narrowed at the sight of me and he tusked. "You're alive".

I shuddered. "Told you I'd be fine".

Derek can feel everything that I feel. He can feel more than just my emotions. He can feel my stomach squirm in unease. Or the slight shiver that travels down my spine, my sweaty palms. My erratic pulse beneath my skin, he can feel it all if chooses to. Because he's consumed me, I marked him and in doing so gave a part of myself to him forever. And right now it gives him the upper hand.

And this revelation brings home one defening loud point. I can no longer lie to my mate. 

He ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "Might as well tell me what happened, you smell of blood".

I nodded. "It wasn't mine".

He smiled slightly in relief. "Anna's?"

I tusked at the memory. "A-alec's"

He made an 'oh' expression. "Will he be okay?".

I shook my head. "Like you care".

He blinked in anger. "Am I supposed to care if your family kills innocent children or just care when they get punished for it? Because only one of those things has happened so far".

I stopped and stared at him. "What about Paige".

He faltered but only slightly. The quickest wince in history and if you don't have supernatural genes to pick it up then it's nonexistent. "What about her?".

I swallowed. "I know it was you. Does that mean you should die too?".

He slowly shook his head at me. "That's not what you think. Besides, it technically made our packs even. Or precious Alec would be dead right now".

I shook my head at him. "So that's it then. It's okay for boys to kill their girlfriends but Anna doesn't get a second chance!?!".

He took a step closer to me. "Anna is mature. Anna knew that the packs were even and any other kill would go against the feud. Anna knew three kills in five years is too much even for the Emmissary to cover up. She knows she has till dawn to do the right thing but instead she's choosing war. She's choosing death for everyone but herself".

I glared at him. "It wasn't her though!".

He chuckled darkly. "Explain how her eyes are blue!, Explain then how the body reeked of Wood or ho-".

I could hit him. "We found it. I told you!. We found the body. I was by her side for the entire week. You have to believe me..."

I could tell by the doubt that swam on his face that he didn't. He sighed but like it broke him. "Avery, I know from the panic you feel and that sick feeling in your stomach. Not even you believe what you're saying".

And just like that, I felt my heart break just that little bit more. And with it, Derek winced for the world to see. 

I didn't sleep that night. 

I doubt I would've anyways. I can feel the ties to every member of this pack. And yet I don't find it comforting anymore. Wondering the halls of the Hale house I nearly jump at the cough of an unwelcome visitor.

"Does Derek know you're going for a Four AM walk?".

I shrugged at the older Hale. A part of me didn't even feel right calling him Creeper  anymore. Now that's just depressing. "I wasn't going anywhere. Besides Tahlia doesn't want us sleeping together so... I'm b-"

He smirked. "Yet"

I frowned. "What?".

He shrugged innocently. "I believe the word you were really looking for is yet. My sister..." He rolled his eyes. "Whatever would she do if the two of you marked each-other and had babies in less than a year of be-".

I blinked. "Shut up".

He chuckled and held up his hands in mock surrender. "Only kidding". I felt myself relax slightly. "I saw the mark on my nephew's neck. Which means the two of you obviously don't need a bed t-".

I rose my eyebrow at the audacity. "Shut. Up".

He mouthed the word 'sorry' with a sly smile. "Fine. Why don't you tell me".

I frowned. "Tell you what?".

He rolled his eyes. "Whatever has you out of the spare room at Four AM?. You know, Derek means more to me than anyone in this pack. Which means I'm obligated to help you, on occasion".

I felt a tiny smile on my face. Trust Peter Hale to stay normal. "Gee, lucky me".

He smiled, teasingly. I still didn't trust him. I sighed in frustration. "If my sister doesn't come to the boundary of your territory at dawn then there'll be a war".

He shrugged. "True and she'll die. And if she comes at dawn then..." He made a cringe face. "She'll also die. Really it's not looking good for blondie".

I shook my head. "Thalia won't kill her if she hands herself over tomorrow".

Peter snorted. "Really? Is that because you think you know my sister after one cup of tea and night in her house?".

I felt myself frown. "I...it's just...you're Hales!".

He nodded in fake sympathy. "As opposed to what? Woods?". He shook his head. "Ever heard the saying dear Avery, that the grass is always greener on the other side?".

I nodded. "But this isn't like that. I know my pack and this one. They're totally different".

He rolled his eyes. "This is also Beacon Hills. Let me tell you something about my amazing sister, she can't be trusted".

I rose an eyebrow. "Are you telling me that because I'm a Wood".

He looked offended before he tusked. "No. I'm telling you this because you're the mate of my favourite nephew. She stole something from me. I mean ignore all of the disrespect and giving Laura her title in the future. This was personal...".

I frowned in confusion of his sudden confession. "What did she take...?".

He looked determined and cold all at once. "Nine months of my life".

I opened my mouth before uttering a whispered. "Why would she do that?".

He gritted his teeth. "Because she's hiding something from me. Something that she couldn't dare leave a trace of. Can you trust someone like that, Avery?".

I shuddered. "I don't get the choice anymore. She's my alpha".

And I knew then he was right. I know scarcely little about Thalia Hale.