Spying on the Spies (Vespio)

Cream's P.O.V

So now that we've made it back to Charmy's house, we decided we could do some investigating there. "Wait wouldn't it be wrong to snoop around Vector's and Espio's place?" Tails asked. For once I had to agree with him. Mr. Vector was nice and I didn't want to hurt his feelings by being nosy around here. "It's only wrong if you get caught! Besides, they're my friends! They wouldn't hurt us!" Charmy replied. "Also, didn't you guys want to know who was in love with who?" I guess he was right.

Both of us sighed in defeat and we listened to him. We pretended to straighten up a few pictures in a room where they mostly hung out. Once we got it all set up, we just made sure we could watch from Tails' little computer. 

"Alright, I've gotten a clear view of the living space. I'll check the audio in the next room," he said, before going off into the next room. "Just try and say something!" he shouted back. "I love chocolate!" Charmy said. "Ships will sail!" I said. He soon came out of the room and had a grin on his face. "We're all set to go!" he replied, giving us a thumbs up. That's when we heard the door open up for the front of the house. "Quick! Off to my room!" Charmy told us. We obeyed and ran into his room and closed the door.

"We've gotta be quiet, Espio and Vector shouldn't know we're here based on the job we're doing!" Charmy told us. Both me and Tails nodded our heads. "Now let's watch it!" I whispered and we turned our heads to the screen.

Espio's P.O.V

It's been painful for Vector to get over Vanilla's death lately. But... half of me wishes he would get over her... I know it sounds like I'm being selfish. Maybe I am. But you'd probably want the same thing if your best friend was admiring someone you didn't really like. I never hated Vanilla! Don't get the wrong idea. But... I guess you could say I wish he looked my way. "Thank god no one else has called us out to do anything this month. I don't know if I could take another investigation!" Vector told me as we walked through the house, trying to find some food.

"Tell me about it. Everything has been off the rails lately." I replied, opening a can of soda. "Since we don't have anything, wanna chill and watch the game?" he asked. "Sure, I suppose it couldn't hurt." 

We went to the couch and sat down with some drinks before turning on the television. As he took sips from his can, I couldn't help but blush a little. He looks handsome when he's relaxed and not doing anything. I took another gulp of my drink to try to calm myself down from noticing him. However, when he's in the room I can't help but avoid my feelings. "Say, do you know where Charmy went? I don't want him out too late." Vector asked me. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen the little guy all day. 

"No, but I think he was running off with that Cream girl and that Tails boy." I replied. "Hm, he hardly hangs out with anyone. I'm surprised," he replied. I was curious to know what he was up to this time considering he gets into mischief. "What do you think he's doing?" I asked. "Probably stirring up trouble. If he's lucky, he might actually get a candy bar his way." "I mean he always has been a rambunctious little guy. Somehow he's going to get in trouble." "We'll be lucky if he comes home in one piece!" "I suppose so. Although the silence is well enjoyed. Usually, he's blasting our eardrums off." "Hah! With that craning voice of his!" "It's not craning. But he could lower his volume." "Well, you have more patience with him. I wonder how you do it." "I learned from the best!" 

"Who? Me? I mean Cream is sweet but, she was just born naturally good." "I know, but usually it takes good courage to be a good person. I've never really been around kids so seeing you has helped me. Especially when Charmy is around."

Vector gave a small sigh and gently swished the liquid in his can around. "Well... I wanted to be a good role model for Cream. Especially since she never had a dad really. I wanted everything to be perfect for both of them. I learned how to be around kids. But sometimes I wonder if I'm even good at that..." he sighed, a tear streaming down his cheek. I got closer to his side trying to help support him. "It'll get better. Pain is only temporary." I reassured.

Gently he wiped his eyes and gave a small sigh. "You're right. But you know Espio... there's no one else like her. I don't think I'll ever find another." he sighed.

Hearing that... just did something inside of me. I got... mad. I threw the can to the ground and got up from the group. "You know what? If you want to continue to mope, fine! I don't have time for this! You always make assumptions and I just can't deal with it! Finish the game by yourself! I've got things to do!" I snapped, stormed out the door, and slammed it. I started storming off and hid in a few bushes. I made sure to camouflage myself to make sure he couldn't find me. Then, I just let the tears fall.

Vector's P.O.V

What the heck was that all about? I didn't know what to say to that outburst he just had. I was worried obviously. Espio and I go way back and I've never seen him act like this. Well, take that back. He acted somewhat like this when he heard Vanilla and I got engaged. I wondered if he was just jealous of him being second best in my life, or... was it something else. So much was going on in life and I didn't know what to think about it. I got up from the couch and walked over to a picture of Vanilla. I teared up knowing she wasn't ever going to be here for me now. 

But I was going to be strong.

For her.

"You would know what to tell me though." I sighed, then gently caressed the photo's frame with my thumb. I want to be a fierce crocodile, but most of the time, I feel like a weak little lizard. Maybe one day things will get better. Now back to Espio, I was wondering why he lashed out like that. Was it because he was done with me being sad all the time. I do get clingy when I'm sad. Maybe because I've been just less contributing around the house lately? Or maybe...

As I thought about it, I felt myself blush. Maybe he's upset because... he likes me? 

"HA!" I laughed out loud at the thought. As if he could ever like someone like me! Besides, Espio tells me everything. He'd tell me if he was gay, if he liked me, or if he liked someone else. So it can't be that. But, the thought of him liking me... it gave me a nice feeling. Wait. I'm not gay! Besides, what would that do to my thoughts on Vanilla? Or worse... what would Cream think about it? It might mean betrayal to her mother! Why am I so worked up anyway? I don't even like him. I went to the fridge to find a sticky note with Charmy's request for pizza. 

"Might as well go pick up dinner for tonight," I said to myself. I grabbed my wallet, then headed out the door.