A Horrible Mistake

Knuckles' P.O.V

*Chirp chirp* 

Ughh, that noise...

I woke up to the irritating chirping of birds and that's when I realized, I wasn't even in my house! Wherever I was, I hope I didn't cause too many problems. I got up and walked out of the bedroom to see Sonic sitting there on his couch, eating a whole stack of Chili Dogs. 

"Sonic?" I groaned. His attention shifted to me, his eyes barely glazed, and finished off his last dog. "K-Knuckles! You're awake." he replied surprised.  

"Yeah, I am. Ugh, you got headache relief?" I asked. He zoomed off and then ran to me with a couple of pills in his hand. "Thanks." I said and took them right away. "What were you doing last night?" he asked a little annoyed. "All I did was get a couple of drinks..." I sighed and sat down, knowing my head couldn't take the stress it already was receiving. "Why?" he asked, being more gentle in his approach. I guess he heard how upset I was because he sat down close to my side. "I really don't want to talk about it..." I sighed, remembering how quickly Rouge flew off after turning me down. "Please Knucks... I'm worried about you. I've never seen you like this before." 

Even though I wanted to, I felt like he'd make fun of me for it. "Promise not to laugh?" "Promise. Just lay it out however you want."

"Since you're one of my best friends, I'll tell you. Yesterday, I asked Rouge to come to meet me at Angel Island so I could confess to her... except when I did... she didn't return the feelings. So, I went to get a beer when I saw Silver and Shadow there. Espio came a bit later. We all ended up getting wasted together. After that, I don't remember much, other than trying to get home. But apparently, I came to your place. Sorry if I caused any problems, I tried to keep myself together, except... it all came out." I said, my voice, cracking towards the end. Sonic knew I was hurt at this point and put his hand on my shoulder. "It'll be okay Knucks. Things will get better, trust me. I've been going through some stuff too. We'll live though." he reassured.

I felt my headache start to let up, but nothing was healing my broken heart. "Well, I happened to see Shadow at that bar. He was getting drunk while I was over there. Did you reject him?" I asked, guessing he had, but I wanted to be sure. His face looked so guilty and upset that a tear formed in his eye and fell down his cheek. "Dude... what's wrong?" I asked confused.

He rubbed his eyes, trying to hold it together. I wasn't sure what to think about this. "Knuckles... I think I made a mistake..." he whimpered. 

His ears flattened against his head and he leaned up against me, startling me. "Why? What's going on?" I asked confused. 

"The thing is... I think I might like Shadow."

Huh? He does? But that doesn't make any sense. "I'm not sure I understand... if you think you like Shadow back, why didn't you accept?" Sonic sniffled and wipe his eyes, clearly trying to find the words he wanted to say. "B-Because... I-I wasn't sure if I like him b-back! But after he ran away, and knowing I hurt him, I felt horrible! For a minute I thought it was nothing much other than guilt. Except after I rejected Shadow, all I did was cry in the woods. Something inside me tells me that I made the wrong choice... but how do I know?" he explained, more tears falling down his cheeks.

So, he was confused? No wonder he didn't know what to say, Shadow had caught him off guard. "Well, how do you feel about Shadow?" I asked. "Um... I think he's overall a good guy... he's gentle with Cream which makes me happy that he's gentle... he's a gentleman when he wants to be... I think he's kinda cute... and looked good in a suit... and... he really does care about me, as if he wants to change for the best. Which... makes me smile." he replied, his cheeks glowing up a little bit from just talking about Shadow himself.

Maybe he really wasn't sure how to react. "Do you think you were confused?" I asked. He nodded his head, then began trembling. "It'll be okay Sonic. I'm sure you can figure it out with Shadow! Take some time to think about it though, don't rush into anything until you're sure about your feelings. Shadow might be hurt, but I'll make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. Try to get your thoughts together, okay?" I reassured him.

Sonic nodded his head and I hugged him tightly to let him know he had my support. "Do you think he hates me?" he asked. "No, he couldn't hate you. I think he's just upset right now. I bet he still loves you. Give him some time to recover though. I bet the wound's still fresh." I replied. "Are you gonna be okay Knuckles?" he asked. 

I wasn't sure myself... I'd have to get over her one day... "I'll be fine Sonic! You don't have to worry!" I reassured. "Thanks for being my friend Knuckles." he sighed and held onto. "No worries Sonic. We're best friends till the end." I reassured. 

In the end... everything was going to be okay...