Not Okay

Sonic's P.O.V

Well, it was getting late and I was surprised there were only a few of us left. Just me, Cream, Tails, Amy, Sally... and Shadow. Both Tails, Cheese, and Cream were fast asleep, but the rest of us were just talking about certain things. Us... meaning everyone but Shadow. He seemed to be keeping an eye on Cheese, Tails, and Cream the whole time.

"And, yeah, trying to build back up our empire, the whole thing has been an experience." Sally explained as she took another sip from her red plastic cup. "Wow, that sounds pretty cool!" "That's what I said! I'm so proud of how she's been handling it!" Amy said, praising Sally for all the hard work she's accomplished. "I know I'm proud! I'm not sure how I would do it alone! How about you Shadow?" I asked. I was hoping he'd say something since he's been quiet this whole time. "I've had to do everything by myself. You learn how to do it." he replied, making no eye-contact. I felt so bad. I never wanted to hurt him.

Sally and Amy seemed to wonder what to say next. "Um, well, that's good that you know all these different things! Independence does a lot for you!" Amy said, smiling at him. "Yeah, it does." he sighed, looking over at Cream and Cheese. I knew he had become more protective having 24/7 care of them nowadays. I couldn't blame him for that though, I'm the same way with Tails. "So what's it like to take guardianship? I've always had fun taking care of her for Vanilla! But I can see why she didn't pick me. I wasn't anywhere ready to take on that responsibility. But I'll always be here for her!" Amy said.

"Despite not knowing how to deal with a kid, we manage. I kind of roll with it." Shadow replied. "Seems like an adventure! All of them seem like really cool kids!" Sally added. "Hanging out with them, always an experience." he chuckled. "I'm glad you don't mind looking after Tails, I know sometimes it can be a handful with all of them!" I thanked. Shadow still wouldn't make eye contact. 

"Is everything okay on your end Shadow?" Amy questioned, noticing he wasn't himself either. "I'm decent. You don't have to worry about me." he replied. Hopefully, this won't make anything worse... I walked over to sit next to him and put a hand on his shoulder.

Shadow's P.O.V

Why was he touching me? Did he think it was fun playing with my feelings? "If something's wrong we can help!" he reassured. Help? Help! He wanted to help ME after everything HE'S caused for me? "I don't need your help." I growled and smacked his hand off my shoulder. "S-Sorry. I only wanted to make things better." he murmured. "Better? You want to make things better?! After everything you did?" I snapped. "L-Look I didn't want to hurt you but I just-"

"I don't want to hear it!" I snarled, getting up in his face. "Shadow, calm down!" Amy urged. "Don't tell me to calm down! I'm allowed to be angry! I don't like it when others play with my feelings!" I snapped. "How was he supposed to know that he was playing with your feelings?" Sally added, stepping in front of both hedgehogs. "He rejected me! That's how I know! First, he breaks me, then I cry for days at a time, and now he wants to make it better? Please! You just want to make yourself feel better!" I yelled, tears coming down my cheeks. "What? N-No of course not! Shadow you're my friend and I never wanted to hurt you!" he cried, trying to come close. "I don't want to talk to you again Faker!'

His face looked hurt. But even though I loved him, I no longer cared. I stormed over to where Cream and Cheese were sleeping. "Wait Shadow! It'll be okay! We can sort it all out right?" Amy asked me timidly. "No! I don't want anything from him!" I snapped and picked up Cream and Cheese to head out the door. That's when I felt both of them started to move around. "Mr. Shadow? What's going on?" she asked sleepily. "We're just heading home now!" I replied angrily and started up my bike. "Mr. Shadow? What's wrong?" "Nothing! Just hang on tight!"

My tears were started to blur my vision but I decided to just wipe them away and begin driving. "Wait! Shadow please!" I heard Sonic shout. Can't he leave me alone! I then sped off, leaving dust behind in his face. I felt Cream and Cheese cling onto me for dear life, wondering what was going on. "Mr. Shadow! Why are we moving so fast!" Cream shouted as I continued to speed. "Chew chew!" Cheese added, both of them gripping onto me tighter.

They told me to slow down multiple times but I didn't listen. I was just so furious at Sonic for all the things he's been doing to me. Tears were still falling down my cheeks as I kept driving faster and faster. At one point I stopped paying attention to what was in front of me. "MR. SHADOW LOOK OUT!" Cream yelled at me. I snapped out of my rage and realized I was going to slam into a whole rock pile. "CHEW!" Cheese shouted.

Holy- There was no way to avoid it! I pulled on the breaks and did my best to try and make it stop. "Brace yourselves!" I shouted, both of them holding onto me tightly. The tires screeched as it finally came to a standstill. We were inches away from hitting the huge rubble. Thank god I stopped in time. I hopped off the bike and sat down on the ground in shock. I felt so terrible that I thought about throwing up.

"Mr. Shadow, why were you racing like that! We could've crashed!" Cream snapped, a small tear coming down her cheek. "Chew chew!" Cheese added. Even she's angry with me. I couldn't hold anything back anymore. I sobbed right there on the ground, letting all my emotions out, right in front of her. "Mr. Shadow?" she asked, coming up to my side. "I-I'm s-sorry! I-I'm j-just so u-upset! S-Sonic c-can't just l-leave me alone!"

She sat down on her knees and looked right at me. "You're still very sad, aren't you?" she asked. "Isn't it obvious? I wanted him... but he doesn't want me... yet for some reason, he wants to hurt me more..."

Cheese sat on my shoulder, gently hugging me. "Chew chew." he said sadly. "We're sorry we didn't know. We don't want you to be sad!" Cream said, coming over to sit on my lap. "It's not your fault. I never wanted you to feel bad or have to see me this way. But unfortunately, now you have." "Aw... Mr. Shadow. It's okay to not be okay. And I don't understand why you're scared to cry in front of me. I've cried in front of you and you made sure that I felt better! So that's what I want to do for you! Mr. Sonic might've hurt you... but don't you have to smile and keep moving? Or maybe you said it differently." she reassured. I smiled softly at her and petted her head.

"Something like that." I replied, hugging her tightly. "Thank you Cream."

"You're welcome, Mr. Shadow."

After a couple of minutes, I picked both of them back up and we hopped back on my bike. This time I'd be paying attention.