❄ Chapter 45 ❄

The couple hugged each other. Jack inhaled the so familiar lavender scent that radiated off Nixie. They both could not believe that all the time they were both so close to each other, yet so far away. All kinds of different emotions rushed through both of their bodies.

"I thought I lost you. You've been here all the time right under my nose." Nixie said

"I've searched for you everywhere, but... I gave up eventually. I couldn't find you. I'm so sorry." Jack looked almost guilty as he locked eyes with Nixie. 

"Did you see- Did you see that?" Jack was getting excited all of the sudden. While Baby tooth shakes her head, Nixie nodded. She saw it all, the now had both of their memories fully back. The ice creator picked up Baby Tooth in his hands and kept her on face level.

Jack kept rattling about his newfound memories toward Baby Tooth since she could not see what made both Jack and Nixie so excited and emotional at the same time.

"It- it was – it was me! I had a family! I found Nix! I had a sister! I saved her!"

Hearing this, Nixie her heart broke a thousand times again as she looked downwards. She tried to grab the necklace that was always hanging around her neck that once belonged to her sister, but when her hand touched her skin, she was reminded again that she lost it. Pitch had it. A sudden feeling of sadness washed over her, even when she finally found Jack again after eons.

While Jack was still babbling with Baby Tooth in his hands toward the Moon, he finally saw the sad expression on the girl that stood before him. "What's wrong, Nix?"

Nixie's green eyes met Jack's. Tears visible as her eyes both seemed glossy. Jack putted his hand on her shoulder. "Hey, it's alright."

Baby Tooth also nodded in Nixie's direction indicating that Jack was right. He hugged her.

"Don't get me wrong, Jack. I-I'm really happy for you." A sob escaped her mouth. After all this time, she still didn't forgive herself for not being able to save Sierra. "I just, haven't forgave myself about Sierra."

"You didn't do anything wrong Nix, you did everything you could. I went back to your village after the attack... it was horrible." Jack could never forget that day. He could never forget the look on Sierra's lifeless face. He could never forget all of the lifeless bodies spread out onto the floor. It was a memory that he would have rather not known. So now he knew what Nixie meant when she said that not having a memory of your past is sometimes a luxury.

"I don't even know if my parents survived the attack or not. I've never seen them since." Nixie felt very sad, her index finger and thumb both rested onto her nose bridge while she lightly shook her head too and fro. Jack took both of her hands in his, carefully in order not to strain her wrist even more.

"That's why we have to defeat Pitch." He looked around the chasm that they we're still in.

"We have to get out of here." Nixie nodded, the only thing was that she did not know how they were going to get out of the chasm. The walls were way too high to climb, let's not even forget to mention the slippery ice that covered both walls.

Jack started to look around for something to get out.

His eyes fell upon his broken wooden staff that was still stuck in the snow. He almost ran to the wooden piece as Baby Tooth flew after him. Jack picked both sections up from the ground as he put the two wooden pieces together but unfortunately nothing happens. Sitting onto both of his knees, his eyebrows furrowed still concentrating in order to fix his staff.

Nixie walked toward him, also sliding down onto her knees, the snow was really cold, and the air was freezing here. She furrowed her dark eyebrows as she slightly began to understand what Jack his plan was.

Jack tried again to fix his staff, but nothing happens again. A frustrated groan came out of his mouth. He tried to concentrate more onto the vertical piece of wood in both of his hands while standing up. Nixie also stood up, she really wanted to help Jack, but she did not know how.

"It doesn't work." Jack looks defeated as Nixie was deep in thought, tapping her finger at her cheek. 

"No." Nixie shook her head. "It has to work. Try again."

The white-haired boy looked at her with uncertainty written on his face but tried anyways. After another attempt something clicked inside Nixie's mind.

"Wait, let's try it together. Maybe our powers combined are strong enough for it to work." Determination was evident in both of her eyes. She already lost her bow and arrows, so it was crucial that Jack had his staff. Otherwise they were never going to get out of there. They both placed their hands onto the broken staff and started concentrating when suddenly a blueish- green spark came from the middle exactly were the staff was broken.

They both looked at each other with both hopeful looks, a little laugh escaped Jack's lips. Baby Tooth let out a happy squeak. They concentrated again when the staff started to mend together like it was never broken in the first place.

"Hold onto me tight." Jack said as Nixie furrowed her eyebrows, in a flash Jack picked her up and shot into the air, letting the air currents glide them through the air. Whooping and cheering that they were out of the fissure.

"I own you girls one!" Jack yelled causing Nixie to laugh.

-       -     -

Jack, Baby Tooth and Nixie were in the lair that belonged to Pitch. Everywhere you could look, birdcages full of fairies, all of them squeaking when the trio came inside. Nixie and Jack had agreed that Jack would free the fairies and Nixie would search for her bow and arrows. She would need them later on, that's something she knew for sure.

She walked further into the lair as a shiver run down her back. The last time she was here, she was chained. Her hand touched her left cheek where a blue bruise was still evident onto her face due to Pitch's anger issues.

A green object catched her eye and she immediately stopped. Nixie couldn't believe it. Her bow and arrows were still in perfect condition leaning against a pile of memory boxes.

The platinum haired girl lifted an eyebrow. It was as if Pitch wanted to have her these. That, or he never expected her to return to this place.

She heard Jack's voice booming through the lair as he tried to free the fairies. A smile creeped onto her face, creating the familiar dimples. It was still dawning onto her that she really found Jack again after such a long time. she felt as the unknowing girl she once was all that time ago.

Hoping that this was not a kind of trap, she stealthy made her way to her stuff and picked it up slowly. Her green eyes looked around her as she swung her quiver over her head. A sigh escaped her lips. She missed her bow and arrows. A smirk appeared on her face as a thought interrupted her mind.

Nixie pulled an arrow from her quiver and placed it between her index finger and middle finger. Pulling the string back, she focused onto a random point in the lair. Letting the arrow fly away before it hits it target right in the middle where she wanted it to have.

"NIX!" Jack's deep voice echoed through the space as she made her way to the ice creator. He stood before an weird looking globe, her attention was on his worried look that overtook his face as he looked too and fro between the fairies and the globe.

"What's wrong?"

"Well we- Hey, you found your bow and arrow, nice." His sudden happy expression turned into a worried one again as he placed his hand in the back of his neck. "We have a problem."

"What kind of problem?"  As Nixie looked at the globe, she saw that the golden dots onto it were decreasing immensely by the second. A gulp escaped Nixie's mouth as she looked into Jack's ice cold eyes.

"The lights..."