❄ Chapter 32 ❄

Jack chuckled at his friends as he made his way towards Tooth, his staff in his left hand while putting his right hand in the pocket of his hoodie.

"Blood and gums?" Jack asked Tooth while North who stood behind her, shrugged his shoulders, letting know that he didn't know what was going on. Jack flew towards Sophie while talking, "When was the last time you guys actually hung out with kids?"

Nixie looked at Jack, he was right. It was a long time ago because it wasn't safe for her outside for a long time. Pitch tried to kill her multiple times, so it wasn't a good idea to leave the Pole.

Jack took a seat on a rock shaped into the form of an Easter egg as Sophie was chasing the eggs that kept themselves hidden in the mouth of the rock.

"Peek-a-boo!" Sophie yelled as the eggs made their way out of the mouth. The child laughed and chased again after the eggs.

North was thinking as he finally knew what he wanted to say. "We are very busy bringing joy to children! We don't have time-" North said while Sophie was now chasing flock of butterflies, they were yellow, orange and pink.

Nixie smiled at the girl as he flicked her wrist, the butterflies started to grow and grew more colors. Glitters started to form on their wings as Sophie her eyes started to grow. One of the butterflies looked at Nixie while bowing his head at her. Returning the gesture Nixie also bowed her head at the animal. Respect radiated off of her.

"Pretty!" The blond girl yelled as a smirk formed on Nixie her face.

Everyone looked at the now big butterflies as North finished his sentence. "For children." A look of confusion appeared on his face as he thought about his answer. The other guardians were a bit disturbed with the outcome of North's answer.

"I didn't know that you could do that, N." Tooth said as she was interested.

Nixie gave a chuckle, there is so much that she could do without them knowing. Moreover, there were things she didn't even know that she was capable of doing. For example, when she and Jack blacked out. According to the other guardians, immense power was released when they combined their powers.

"There are some things that I prefer to keep to myself." Nixie gave an innocent smile while she was flipping one of the coins that she got from Bunny through her fingers.

Jack looked with sparkles in his eyes to the girl on the left side, he gave the platinum teenager a smile while forming a snowflake. A smirk appeared on both of their faces as Nixie knew what he was about to do. 'you wouldn't' She mouthed to him while he innocently shrugged his shoulders while taking a comfortable position on the egg-shaped rock.

"If one little kid can ruin Easter, then... we're in worse shape than I thought." Jack made the snowflake fly as Sophie chased after it. "Whee!" The snowflake ended up on the tip of Bunny's nose as his eyes sparkled. Nixie chuckled, familiar with the weird feeling when she and Jack were snowball fighting with Jamie and his friends.

A huge smile appeared on his furry face, his eyes didn't look the same anymore as he walked with Sophie towards the Inner Warren. Everyone followed as Jack flew towards Nixie. He putted an arm around her shoulder as her face started to glow a shade of red.

It was such a weird feeling that she experienced only twice. One time she got the feeling when Tooth showed her memories, the brown-haired boy made her feel this warm. And the second time was now, with Jack. "Okay, I give it to you. That was funny." She chuckled as Jack did something unexpected, he gave her a quick kiss on the cheek as Nixie her eyes widened.

A playful smile appeared on his pale face while rushing a hand through his white hair. Her face turned again a bright scarlet colour as she shook her head.

Everyone else, with the exception of her and Jack, was gone, following Bunny and Sophie towards the Inner Warren.

"Something wrong?" Jack asked with a glint of seriousness evident on his face. Nixie smiled at him while shaking her head.

"No, it's just... I never felt like this before except one time. The boy from my memories, you remember? Normally I'm not into these kinds of things." Jack nodded his head as he also had some weird visions that were probably about his past life. The girl that he constantly saw had this aura around her... he just knew that she wasn't a 'normal' friend. the only thing was, so much time had passed. It was impossible to ever see her again. No normal human can grow that old.

"I don't know... It's just super weird to have that feeling again after such a long time. The weird thing is, it feels so familiar. Thank you for that." She placed some hair behind her ear while showing her white teeth as she smiled.

Nixie hugged him, a warm glow rushed through Jack's body. He padded her back while putting his chin on her head.

Nixie looked at him while standing on her tippy toes to give him a quick kiss on the mouth. Her green eyes sparkled and again that warm feeling made its way into Jack's body.

"Nix? Can I ask you something?" Nixie nodded as she folded herself out of his arms. Her face looked serious as she replaced her bow onto her body. "Always." She replied.

"Why were you always inside? I mean, I've never seen you outside. Only at the lake."

Nixie started to fidget her rings as she looked up at him. Her lips slightly parted, searching for an answer.

"You really want to know?" Jack nodded his head, he was dead serious. He wanted to know about her history, some things about her were a mystery to him. A puzzle that must be solved.

"I understand if you don't want to tell me now, we coul- "He was interrupted when Nixie stopped him.

"It was because of Pitch..." Her voice turned out to be kind of raspy as her eyes turned glassy. A moment of silence overtook them as Nixie pulled herself together.

"He was after me for a long time... especially when I became a guardian. That's why I stayed at the Pole. I had my own place for a while but, we thought it would be better if I would be staying at the Pole." Jack placed his arms around her in order to comfort her.

"First, I couldn't go outside for a long time, then after some decades of not hearing a single thing of Pitch, Bunny and I started to go outside together, pulling pranks or something." Nixie smiled with teary eyes as she thought about the good memories.

"Then after a while, he tried to assassin me when doing my routine during the forest. North and I agreed that I under no circumstances would leave the Pole. I just...." Nixie ran a hand through her hair as she continued her story.

"I just don't understand why. What did I do to him?"

Jack looked sad, he also appreciated the fact that she actually told her story. Some parts were clicking together but most of them remained unsolved.

"That night at the lake? You weren't afraid that Pitch was gonna get you?"

"To be honest, I didn't know what overtook me. Suddenly, I had this weird feeling that something was gonna happen. I didn't know what, or where. I just followed my instincts and somehow I ended up there."

"We're missing something, something really important and I don't know what." Nixie nodded, swiping the tears away from her pale face. "But you mustn't worry." Nixie looked at him with a hint of confusion written on her face.

"We're gonna get Pitch, he's gonna pay for his deeds. Everything's going to be alright, when I get my memories back, we may know more how we can defeat him once and for all." 

A small smile formed on her pink lips as she hugged him gratefully again. 

"Thank you, Jack. For everything."