❄ Chapter 42 ❄

"Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!"

Losing his balance, the preteen boy tried to grab the gutter but failed before he crashed onto the ground. His backyard was covered in white cold snow, you would be greeted by a blue sky if you looked up.

Pippa cringed when her friend fell harsh onto the floor, putting up a hand before her eyes.

A purple with pink colored tennis ball rolled down before his own eyes as disappointment was evidently written on his face. Frustration also began to bubble up in Jamie as he groaned, his chocolate brown orbs followed the ball before him.

It looked like he was the only one in his backyard full of his friends that still had hope to find something.

"Let's check the park again."

A couple of kids groaned as Claude asked what Jamie wanted to search for. Cupcake sat onto the self-made wooden swing with her back towards Jamie.

"Guys, I told you, I saw him! He's way bigger than I thought! And he's got these cool boomerang things!" Jamie made some hand gestures in order to pep his friends up into helping him find something, holding his woven empty basket. The only thing was, the other kids have already kind of giving up by now.

"Grow up, Jamie."

"Oh man, seriously?"

They stand in a semi-circle around Jamie, all looking sad and downtrodden. Jamie couldn't believe the scene that was developing before him. His eyes grew in size as a look of confusion was clearly written on his face.

"What happened to you guys?"

Caleb was the first to speak up, his warm red beanie complemented his dark freckled skin. His eyebrows were furrowed and a sad aura surrounded the boy, which was quick followed by fear.

"It was a dream! You should be happy you still get dreams like that and not..."

He slightly turned his head to the right towards Cupcake who also had a serious look on her face. Her dark brown hair was messy as usual with short strings sticking out in multiple directions.

"Nightmares." She finished Caleb's sentence, turning around she made her way out of Jamie's backyard while the other kids followed after a moment.

Only Pippa and Monty waited for another second next to Jamie's side. Pippa threw the colored tennis ball into Jamie's basked as the said boy looked at her with a look of disbelief.

"Forget it, Jamie. There's just no Easter this year." She looked defeated. Her green with white scarf swayed along with her body as she walked away as well with the other kids.

"He really is real! – I know he is..." The last part Jamie whispered to himself, looking at the tennis ball in his still empty basket.

❄❄❄

Simultaneously at the Pole, thingswere getting more serious the seconds passed by. A large group of Yeti'ssurrounded the globe. Multiple muttering sounds echoed through the large space asthe flickering golden lights decreased in just a matter of seconds to theYeti's astonishment.

❄❄❄

The South Pole made sure that anyone who was passing through, had the honorable experience of a massive snow blizzard. That, or maybe Jack had putted the cherry on top as he stomped up onto a cliff with his owntooth box into his hand. His staff into the other.

He was so mad, mad at himself for letting Nixie alone. Mad that he betrayed his guardian friends. It seemed to him that his past wasn't important anymore if he didn't have a future at all.
As Jack wanted to throw the box into the cliff, something in him told the boy that he mustn't do it. He risked too much to get thisobject, he was again doubting himself on what to do. Furrowing his dark eyebrows, Jack took some breaths.

His white hair swayed in the wind as againthe infamous raspy voice behind him was hearable.

"I thought this might happen. They never really believed in you. Not even Mother Nature when she left you in the forest." Pitch tried to sympathies with the teenager before him but only angered him in the process.
"I was just trying to show you that. But I understand- "

Within a second Jack turned around and blasted ice into hisdirection while screaming.  

"You don't understand anything! Where is Nixie?!"

Still fighting against each other, conversation was made between the two.
"No?" Pitch angered himself when he protected his body before throwing dark sand into Jack's direction who dodged it.

"I don't know what it's like to be cast out?!" He tried tododge Jack's question about Nixie and continued with his own emotional speech. She would come into the picture later if Jack didn't want to listen.

Jack almost floated into the air as he summoned a powerful ice blast towards Pitch, resulting much fog around Jack as the voice of Pitch continued to speak around him.

"To not be believed in!" Not being visible to the eyes, but only still to the ears,Jack made circles in order to see him through the thick snow mist. Pitch's tall appearance made himself known after a moment behind Jack as he looked almost sad.
"To long for... a family."

Something touched Jack as his face expression softened. He lowered his staff while facing Pitch.
"All those years in the shadows, I thought no one else knows what this feels like. But now I see that I was wrong. We don't have to be alone, Jack. I believe in you. And I know children will too."

"In me?"

Jack asked the dark spirit almost desperately as if he was really in need of some help or comfort. Pitch's nasty plan was making progress.
This would be his last chance to be on the winning team, considering that Nixie was still alive, he had to destroy the most powerful weapon that Jack possessed, which was his staff.
He and Father Time discussed the matter, and both agreed that this was their only chance to make sure that Jack and Nixie weren't a threat anymore to them. They couldn't care less that they knew each other from their preceding lives.
That information was irrelevant to them. The only thing that Pitch had to do now was persuading Jack into getting his staff in the 'good' or the bad way. It was definitely going to be the bad way which only brought a bigger grin on Pitch face.

"Yes!"

He could almost taste victory, he could almost smell the fear that was spreading like a virus among the children in the whole world.
"Look at what we can do!"
Pitch gestures towards the spiky- ice mixed with dark sand -creation that he and Pitch made during their short,but intense fight.

"What goes together better than cold and dark? We can make them believe! We'll give them a world where everything, everything is - "

Pitch euphoric moment was interrupted by Jack.

"Pitch Black?" Furrowing his eyebrows, Jack began again to question the sincerity of this dark spirit that named himself the Boogeyman.

Dark eyes made contact with icy blue ones as Pitch stopped in his tracks for a moment.
"And Jack Frost, too. They'll believe in both of us."

Jack shook his head.

"No, they'll fear both of us. And that is not what I want. Now for the last time, leave me alone." Jack walked away. He was wasting time, Jack knew that Pitch wasn't going to help getting Nixie back, so he decided to search for her. Pitch was only wasting his precious time.

So, this was going to be the bad way, again an evil grin appeared on Pitch grey face. A moment later a look of disgust and anger.

"Very well. You want to be left alone? Done! But first..."

With one snap of Pitch's slender finger, Baby Tooth and Nixie appeared out of thin air beside him. The squeaking of Baby Tooth made Jack turn around, he could not believe his eyes. She was right there. They were right there.