❄ Chapter 19 ❄

A COUPLE OF DAYS AFTER PITCH'S INVASION...

Jack sat in his house with his little sister. It was a tiny wooden cottage in a tiny village besides the woods and a beautiful lake. He tapped his foot rapidly on the ground as he was deep in his thoughts. He didn't hear anything from Nixie for a couple of days, which was not usual as they always saw each other on Friday's.

He was starting to worry, maybe something happened? He ran a hand through his brown locks as he looks at the jewel in his hand. It was Nixie's ring, she gave it to him after a couple of months during their relationship. This way Jack could always think about her when he felt the silver piece.

The initial N was engraved in its surface. It was a piece that Nixie was very attached to, so it was a big honor for Jack to keep it. He always kept it close to him, mostly of the times in his pockets. Jack sighed again as he ran his fingers on its smooth surface.

It was already a year ago that he confessed his feelings to Nixie, an evening that both teenagers would never forget. His train of thought was interrupted by his sister.

"Jack, What's wrong? You're so quiet." The younger girl came into the room, holding some groceries in her hands. She saw her brothers furrowed eyebrows when she walked into the room. Normally her brother was the fun maker but, today it doesn't seem like it. Her brown straight hair that was the same colour as Jack fell on both sides of her face. She also inherited the same chocolate brown eyes as her big brother.

"Sierra and Nixie aren't here either. Hmm..." She began to think, and something clicked in her head. As the 'mature' girl she was, if she has to say it herself. "Jack?... Is everything alright between you and Nixie?" Jack chuckled, surprised to hear those words coming out of a young girl's mouth. "Yeah, everything's fine between us, don't worry Mary." He ruffled her hair with his hand as he stood up from his chair. Mary and Sierra always played with each other as they were around the same age.

"Can you say to mum that I'm with Nixie when she returns?" He looked at his sister as she nodded. "Yeah, be careful Jack. Give Sierra a hug from me." Their bond was strong, and Mary was really fond of her big brother. Jack grabbed his short cloak and puts it around his shoulders. "See you tomorrow, Mary." Jack smiled at his little sister as he made his way outside.

It was like a twenty-minute walk to the other village where Nixie and Sierra live. Jack walked through the forest as a nasty feeling started to form in his stomach. He grabbed his girlfriend's ring out his pocket and sighed. "Hopefully everything's alright."

After some time, Jack entered Nixie's town, twenty minutes later. It was dead silence as every little sound could be heard. The trees that were rustling in the wind, the birds and the wind that increased so now and then.

The normal sound of footsteps and voices of children weren't heard as Jack perked his ears. The brown-haired teenager furrowed his eyebrows as he knew that something was wrong. His pace quickened and a moment later he started to run to the center of the town, the fountain that he and Nixie adored. A big lump formed in his throat as his stomach turned a circle when he took his surroundings in.

Dead bodies everywhere were he could look, spreading the whole surface. Dried blood everywhere as some of the bodies were already partly eaten by wild animals. Jack started to panic as his breath increased. Tears started to form in his eyes as his breakfast made its way back up in his throat. He threw up caused by the sight before him, not even to mention the smell that radiated off the bodies.

Tears rolled down his cheeks as his ears starting to ring. "NIX!" He literally started to step over the dead bodies as he almost tripped over a corpse. Jack started to search for his girlfriend. After a while with still no result with finding Nixie, his hope began to fade away. Deep down he knew that it was only a good sign if her body wouldn't be laying down here.

Collecting his courage, he started to search again for his girlfriend. When he walked a bit further, he thought that he was seeing Sierra's dead body on the floor. His breath hitched as he made his way to the thirteen-year-old girl. Her face was as white as a ghost with her eyes closed. "SIERRA!" He got her face on her lap as he descended to the floor. "O God...Si." Jack started to sob as the preteen didn't wake up. Her lifeless body as a puddle on the cold stone floor. Dried blood partly covered her mouth. He placed some of her dark blond hair behind her ear as his heart broke. Nixie would never leave Sierra behind, so that means that Nixie must be laying somewhere else here.

After a moment he gently placed Sierra back onto the ground. He picked some poppies from a bush that grew behind him. He placed the flowers in her hand as Jack said his final goodbye to his girlfriend's sister. Jack had a good bond with Sierra as she played a lot with Mary.

The ringing in his ears increased as Jack started to search again. When he couldn't find her tears streamed down his cheeks as he ran his hand through his hair. He looked around him in every direction. "NIX!" His breaths came faster and faster as he was on the verge of a panic attack. He just couldn't lose her. "NIXIE!"

After looking at every corpse there was, Jack didn't find his girlfriend which was kind of a relief for him since there was the slightest chance of her being alive. That, or she was already eaten by the wild animals that lived in the woods besides the little town.

Jack cried as he had an emotional breakdown. He slid down a wall as he sat on the ground. His knees touching his chest as he grabbed the ring out of his pocket. His fingers traced the engraved N on it. "Don't worry Twig, I will find you." Jack whispered to himself.