30| In the Line Of Fire

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
-H.P Lovecraft.

Melissa thought back to the radio announcer on her way back home, this morning calling the tornado an F2 on the Fujita scale, but this was living proof that they had greatly underestimated mother nature, and what she was capable of doing to such a...

Melissa thought back to the radio announcer on her way back home, this morning calling the tornado an F2 on the Fujita scale, but this was living proof that they had greatly underestimated mother nature, and what she was capable of doing to such a small insignificant town, known as Highbury Hills.

She was no meteorologist herself but this was an F5, no doubt it, and it was coming straight towards her, at an incredible three hundred miles per hour. She watched the lightning flash its inverted limbs towards the sugar cane fields.

In one, two, or three seconds the loud boom of the thunder, struck just missing her car when she managed to swerve out of the way in time. Even though it was almost nearing towards noon, the twilight skies had still remained black as the night sky.

A lavender-coloured mist threaded throughout the crumbling town of Highbury Hills, blurring everything in its path which in turn had compromised her ability to see what was on the road, but there was no backing down from any of it now.

As she drove the long distance to town, everything that was around Melissa had shrouded her with despair and carnage. People from all walks of life were running in different directions, as the tornado was sucking everything in like one big giant black hole.

There was profound panic and distress in every soul. The cries of children and the cries of their mothers, who didn't know what to do other than watch their own offspring being ripped away from them, while wailing helpless men lost their wives in the blink of an eye.

Many of the locals were seen, trying to break out of their vehicles, and others had been crushed dead on impact. She could hear their unbearable screams of desperation and fear, moments from being obliterated, after failing to make it out alive.

All that entered her mind now, was when was it her turn to come face to face with the harsh reality, of what was transpiring around her. It was like sitting precariously in amongst a multitude of landmines and wondering when they would self-destruct and demolish everything in their path.

She noticed that several of the vehicles near her had caught alight. The fumes filled the air like hot steam rising, forcing her to place her hand over her face for a second, so she didn't have to be forced to breathe in the smell of dust and burning metal.

The trees creaked and all the dust that had settled onto the roads were now being whipped up into the air, semi-blinding her as she looked across at the tornado that was moving toward the open fields.

Everywhere she looked, everything was just a dark, foreign place, that had no beginning and no end. There was only chaos and wreckage, that didn't know where to retreat back to where it came from.