21| The Honourable Stranger

It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.
---William Shakespeare.

Derek stood behind the silhouette of shadows, on the vacant pavement, that belonged to the desolate road, and for some reason unbeknownst to him, he could not assimilate in his mind why this person felt compelled to stop his car, and want to help him

That person seated in that same ruby, red Cadillac; That dear and sweet old man, he'd met along the way, had now returned again and Derek wondered what he was doing here, out and about so late at night, particularly here of all places.

"How did you find me?"Derek found Himself asking him, his head still very much filled with turmoil.

Derek didn't know whether to jump in his car or be cautious of this man's unusual kindness towards him. He remembered this old man was once petrified of him and wondered why he had suddenly had a change of heart. These questions kept reverberating in his head, and as a result, he became apprehensive to get in his car.

" Get in it's cold and late," the man said with a tone of impatience in his voice, that somehow strangely consoled Derek.

But he a fool either. He knew very well that his desperation could get him into trouble. He was also struggling to trust anyone, and this old man was no exception, for all he knew it could have been a trick to turn him in.

Derek glanced over his shoulder, looking at the desolated road, an eery chill went through him. He was well aware that the entire police force was coming for him and standing here being indecisive about whether or not he should get in, could land him getting inevitably caught.

He knew very well, that his options were limited. Either trust your instincts and not get in his car, or take the leap of faith and get in, Derek thought, settling with his spur of the moment decision to go with option b in a brief moment of haste, that he hoped he wouldn't later regret.

Jesus, I sure hope I know what I'm doing, Derek thought hesitating as he stepped into the man's car.

Once they set off, he had started to feel less anxious, watching the infirmary of where he resided for what felt like a lifetime, fade into the background, like a bad, faint and distant memory. He could hear the subtle music playing and the angels in his mind, singing him a beautiful, sweet melody, as if he'd been victorious in a battle of war and had come out undefeated and unscathed. For once things were beginning to look a lot less bleak, and he was slowly starting to see a - light at the end of the tunnel.

Throughout the entire drive, neither of them uttered a single, word to each other. Frank Sinatra and just about every song that ever existed in the 70s and 80s was playing quietly in the background on the radio, sort of easing the awkward and uneasy silence between them.

Derek clenched tightly on the strap of his bag whilst quietly gritting his teeth, wondering to himself if he could politely just ask this man to stop the car without sounding rude.