2 | A Great Disappointment

Melissa was hit with this ominous feeling that this was the beginning of the end of her life, here in New York City with Derek from the moment she started to read the letter

Dear:Mr. Peterson.

You may be asking yourself, who I am and why I am sending you this letter, so without further ado, I would like to be the one to formally introduce myself. My name is Albert Peterson and I am a distant relation to your father Frank.

I am writing to inform you that in this envelope you will find with you my last will in testament attached to this letter, bequeathing you my home in Highbury Hills. I sincerely trust you will make the right decision with this gift I bestow upon you.

Albert.M.Peterson.

This had been the most ridiculous thing, Melissa had ever heard in her life. She was starting to believe that there was no escaping that town. Just when they were starting to rebuild their lives again, why, now did this have to happen?

"Do you know this man?" Melissa couldn't help but blurt out.

"No," Derek said, as he moved in the direction of the mirror, so he could put on his tie. She felt this unexplainable anger bubbling inside her. She wished she never answered the door this morning. Wished she could have gone back in time so this never would have been allowed to happen.

He bit down on his lower lip, a nervous habit she had grown accustomed to when she knew Derek was on edge about something.

"I swear to God, I have never heard of this man in my life, " he said. "My father never really disclosed much of his personal life to me before he died. All he said was that I was an only child and that my mother died in a car accident when I was about three years old."

From what Melissa understood was that after Derek's mother passed away, he was sent abroad and raised in Italy, on a ridiculously small, remote island twenty miles just outside the lake, northwest of Sicily and that he had been raised by his father throughout most of his adolescent life. Melissa always assumed that Derek didn't have any family left after he lost both his parents, so this had come as huge shock to her.

Melissa drew in a calming breath because she knew if she didn't her head might have exploded instead." Do you want to know what I think of the letter?" Two questions had been plaguing her since the letter arrived this morning: how did these people get this address, and why would this man leave Derek his house?

"Yeah sure, honey. What is it?"

"I think this letter is a bad omen if you ask me. If I was you I'd burn the god-damned thing and forget about it. No good can come from anything in Highbury Hills." Christ, they weren't even midway through the morning and they were already starting to argue and...