25 | No Way Out

Fear has a large shadow, but he is small.
- Rob Gendlen.

Melissa awoke to the sound of a loud, thunderous bang on the front door

Melissa awoke to the sound of a loud, thunderous bang on the front door. She placed, Holly back down in her cradle and had this weird out-of-body experience as she confronted the door.

Her bare feet felt cold against the wooden flooring as she staggered to the passageway in a dismal state, uncertain if she was dreaming this or if it was real.

She'd been up all night, with Holly and hadn't realised she'd fallen asleep, on the settee, instead of her own bed.

She could see the bright police lights, flashing through the frosted glass windows - the very first thought occurring in her mind, that Derek had been killed and they were coming to relay the bad news. That word stuck in her throat.

She opened the door, instinctively backing away from him at first, to find a police officer standing In front of her.

The man was possibly In his early fifties or so. He had a craggy, intelligent-looking face, with kind, thoughtful, green eyes. Melissa instantly felt at ease in his presence.

"This is lieutenant Steele, from the police department downtown, are you Mrs Peterson?"

"Y-Y-Yes," Melissa quietly responded. She felt her heart begin to pound, so loudly, in her chest, she could hear it in her throat.

"May I come in and have a word with you, if that's alright with you?" he asked coughing neatly into his handkerchief as he studied her slight, pregnancy bump, protruding from her nightgown.

"Children are such blessings!" he exclaimed. "My wife, is due any time now, how far along are you?"

"About seven weeks," she said biting, into her bottom lip, thinking, how quickly time had already passed, since she last discovered that, she was expecting, Derek's second child. She stood aside respectfully and allowed the lieutenant to walk inside.

After she closed the door, She began scrambling around, trying to make the place look a bit presentable and tidy. She pulled away all the blankets, that were precariously, thrown on the settee and placed it on the dining room table for now, so Mr. Steele could be seated down.

"Can I get you anything to drink?" she asked him, nervously." Tea, coffee? I made some Rhubarb pie, if you're hungry?"

"No, thank you, ma'am," he said with an awkward smile. "I just came from Star Bucks on my way over here. They do the most amazing blueberry muffins there. Do you like blueberry muffins?"

"Love them," she said remembering them being Derek's favourite.

She couldn't take it anymore, so she went ahead and asked him. "Any news, on my husband?" Her hands started to feel clammy as she pressed them tightly together.

"As a matter of fact - yes. That's why I'm here," the lieutenant responded, turning his head, and facing her.

Melissa was certain her heart stopped beating for a moment when he came and sat beside her. He had become excessively fidgety all of a sudden, which made Melissa tense up more in this man's company.