7| New Beginnings

Melissa was about to start up the car and head back to New York, but by the time she made it to the last intersection, she had been pulled over by a traffic officer

Groaning inwardly, Melissa adjusted her rearview mirror and watched the officer hop out of his car. The door light switched on illuminating the big bulging man in uniform heading in their direction, his long, sinewy arms, swinging from side to side.

He was tall, over seven feet - bigger than any man she had ever seen before. He had been scary-looking and intimidating like everyone in this town. Derek's hand had still been securely positioned on her lap, reassuring her that everything was going to be okay.

" What are we going to do?" Melissa said to him, sweat beading down her forehead, at the thought of ending up in prison because they couldn't afford to pay the speeding fine. She was starting to panic now. Had she really been going over the speed limit, without even realising it?

" I already have to pay the nanny for babysitting Holly yesterday," she said to Derek anxiously." I still have no idea how I am even going to even afford that."

"Relax," Derek said, winding the window down as if to reassure her that he was going to take charge of the situation."I'll take care of this. You just sit there and look pretty, okay?"

She smiled at him as if to say thank you and continued to sit there waiting for the officer to walk across to their car. She could feel her skin tingling from the plethora of the morning breeze coming in through the window Derek had just opened.

She grabbed his hand just a little harder trying not to let her anxiety get the better of her, the closer she heard the sound of the officer's footsteps approaching their car.

"What are you going to tell him?" she asked him nervously, her voice low and timorous.

"Just leave it up to me," he assured her.

"Name and registration number, please ma'am," the officer said gruffly, as he navigated his way to Melissa's side of the window, with a thick notebook in hand. Melissa wanted to get this over with as quickly as possible. She kept looking at Derek for support, hoping he knew what he was getting himself into.

The officer was standing in front of Melissa now, eyeing her body up and down through the window, as if it were a rare piece of art and then directed his attention to Derek. The cop was standing so close to the car,that she could smell the stale sweat oozing from the man's pores, muddled together with the cheap, offensive cologne he wore. His gray eyes widened the second she realised Derek was with her.

"Howdy, there folks," the officer greeted them, looking flustered for a moment, when he saw Derek giving him the evil eye, for sizing up his wife.