1 | An Unforeseeable Suprise

Please note: Edited and rewritten chapters are marked with✔

___________________________________________

In honour and in loving my memory of my Dad, Derek Deary. A man that will be forever missed, but never forgotten.

It had gone from being a glorious summers day filled with boasting rays of sunshine and blue-lagoon-shaded skies to a miserable cold evening, at the drop of a hat in Highbury hills

It had gone from being a glorious summers day filled with boasting rays of sunshine and blue-lagoon-shaded skies to a miserable cold evening, at the drop of a hat in Highbury hills. There were small shavings of ghost-grey-coloured mist that could be seen throughout the valley quietly crossing the vacant land and tickling the calm lake once it passed over it.

After travelling halfway across town Derek and Melissa Peterson had been driving home from the hospital when the rooftop of their car started to dance with spray murmuring of the rain through the windows making a loud buzzing sound like a swarm of angry bees before they approached the poorly maintained road
that was as dark as death ahead of them.

The width of it was scarcely narrow in size with nothing but a broiling bog-brown lake and a forest that no one ever dared to stroll through surrounding it.

As soon as Derek caught a glimpse of the houses peering out from beneath the shadows of the darkness, he knew it wouldn't be long until they were almost home. Thank God, he said in the back of his mind, feeling his eyes, grow heavier the longer he continued to remain on the road.

He had been fighting fatigue at each agonising intersection he passed while his wife, Melissa remained silent in the passenger seat beside him, clinging onto their newborn daughter Holly in her arms, gazing out of the window, as the rain came down harder now.

Derek glanced into the rearview mirror so he could make sure nobody was behind him and looked over at his wife and softly said, "I don't know if it's just me, but every time I drive through here I always feel as if something bad is gonna happen."

Without answering him, Melissa blinked her eyes, brutally, hard fighting the tears back that threatened to flow. She hated the idea of having to return to this place, but she knew she couldn't tell Derek how she felt just right yet. She turned to the open window again, so he couldn't see the tears that were filling up in her eyes.

Oh, how she wished she could tell him the truth and how much she couldn't bear living in this town - but she knew he was doing well at being a doctor and loved his job. Who was she to take that away from him? Interrupting her train of disconcerting thoughts Derek stretched his arm out and rested his hand that wasn't occupied driving the steering wheel down onto her lap, where Holly lay curled up in her mother's arms.

He was going to wait until tomorrow to break the news, but he couldn't stand to keep this from her anymore. It had been eating him alive since he'd picked her up from the hospital.