31 | A Friend Till The End

A successful man can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.

It was as if Melissa had been given another chance when she somehow, missed the tornado and ended up unintentionally taking a detour into another road, with just a forest, surrounding her, lost in the middle of nowhere

It was a miracle she managed to escape with an inch of her life and David had surely believed she had been swept up into the air and taken away like the rest of the other souls who had lost their lives today that bought her the time she needed to get to safety.

It was as if she had a guardian angel, watching over her and her unborn child. This was no coincidence; it was undoubtedly a miracle. But she knew her hope at finding salvation and peace remained bleak. She had no clue where she was or how she was going to get out of here when she noticed a police car appear out of the shadows and creep up towards her vehicle.

Almost blinded by the flickering of his red and blue police lights shining directly in her eyes, prompted her to shield her face, for a painful second. Without hesitation, Melissa started to hand signal the officer to slow down and pull over so he could assist her.

Once he stepped out of the darkness and into the light, Melissa was able to identify a large burly looking man in uniform with a head full of thinning white hair, and black-rimmed aviator mirrored sunglasses.

He came charging in her direction at lighting speed and removed his shades when he got nearer to her. Melissa noticed when he came into the light that he had kind pensive looking brown eyes, which left her with hope.

He hawked out a piece of chewing gum from his mouth and stretched out his arm to greet her with a formal handshake. Melissa couldn't help but notice at how much he smelt just like jelly doughnuts and root beer, which reminded her of home.

His eyes doubled their size when he noticed her expectant stomach underneath her ripped dress that she prayed he wouldn't notice.

"Good lord Ma'am. What in the world are yer doing out here?" he scolded her pinching the wisp-ends of his light brown, silver-stranded moustache while shaking his head in disbelief.

" There's a natural disaster out here wiping out half of this town and yer busy driving around, pregnant and alone," he exclaimed whilst studying her protruding belly, as if it were the first time he had seen a pregnant woman before.

"Where in gods earth is that baby's daddy? He should be consoling such a beautiful, woman in this great time of need."

She knew she couldn't answer that considering that her husband, just happened to be a fugitive at large running from the law, so she told him that her husband was indisposed for the time being and had been unable to reach him, which seemed appropriate given the circumstances of the weather and the trail of destruction it had left in its wake.