36| A Perfect World

There are far better things in life than any we leave behind.

- C.S. lewis.

After having to leave Melissa behind with a gaping hole in his heart, from being ripped away from her for the second time, Derek felt as if a piece of him had died all over again when he watched himself being thrown into the same holding cell that...

After having to leave Melissa behind with a gaping hole in his heart, from being ripped away from her for the second time, Derek felt as if a piece of him had died all over again when he watched himself being thrown into the same holding cell that dwelled in the grim foreboding building with a look of utter hopelessness about it.

From that moment on he was forced to stand trial and testify about the events that took place and the murders he had been convicted of until he could prove his innocence. But his trusty companion in his pocket that had documented what took place that day, came through for him in the end.

The magistrate, prosecutor, and jury vindicated Derek of all the alleged charges against him once he presented the footage to them. He called up Melissa the same day of his release and couldn't wait to tell her that he was finally coming home to his family.

On the day of Derek's trial, everybody couldn't believe their eyes when they saw the video. Many watched on in horror and disbelief when they witnessed her on camera behind David, moments before charging him to the ground, and viciously attacking him. Others had abandoned their positions in trial and fled - too distraught to watch the shocking evidence Derek and his lawyer had shown the jury to exonerate himself with.

Even experienced paranormal investigators were stunned when they saw the documented footage, of David being viciously attacked by this creature. Priests from across the world had come from afar, to sanctify the house with holy water, trying to banish her evil presence, but all their efforts had ultimately been in vain.

After throwing in the towel with a multitude of failed attempts behind them, Albert's estate had been officially declared a place forbidden for anyone to step foot in. There was even speculation circulating amongst the community that they could very well be demolishing the house because they were convinced it possessed some kind of evil eminence; and that it had been considered a place of darkness, that brought disharmony upon a once peaceful little suburban town.

No matter what happened, nobody would ever forget that house, or Derek for a long time to come. This story not only took centre stage, but this town and the world were now calling Derek a hero among men.

They deemed the apparition responsible for the murders Derek had been accused of, but David hadn't been all that fortunate. When he eventually stood in front of the magistrate and jury, David pleaded insanity and confessed to killing Albert, the officer and his foster parents, Jane and Peter Montgomery.

The magistrate thankfully had compassion for the demented mad man David and sentenced him to a full life sentence of one hundred and twenty-four years in Shady Oakes psychiatric hospital, which wasn't too far from Albert's home - surprisingly. It was the same one Derek had been confined to while he was pending his trial hearing. Nobody had ever seen or heard of David again.