33| The Reunion

We don't even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward. In times of tragedy, of war, of necessity, people do amazing things. The human capacity for survival and renewal is amazing.

- Isabel Allende.

Melissa remained seated inside the police car, beside the overly loquacious officer that had been kind enough to take her along with him for the ride

Melissa remained seated inside the police car, beside the overly loquacious officer that had been kind enough to take her along with him for the ride. They found themselves being unexpectedly stuck at a stop street now, in front of a huge red disreputable van for about five minutes or so.

Melissa noticed, when she looked outside the window, that the clouds were becoming increasingly darker with each passing street they drove through. She couldn't help but think to herself how much she truly hated this God-forsaken town. She vowed to herself that, as soon as Derek cleared him name, they would leave this place and never return. She glanced back at the officer when she realised they were at their destination now.

Throughout her time spent on the road with Officer Cormac, she had gotten to know the officer's story before the uniform. His heartwarming stories of fighting depression and how he came close to taking his life kept her wanting to learn more and more about this man. She found herself listening attentively to him when he told her never to give up, no matter how rough things got. He believed that God had something special planned for her and her family.

If she didn't believe that guardian angels truly exist in this world, she did after meeting this man today. Melissa watched him tap his fingers impatiently on the steering wheel when the van at last shifted out of their way. He turned the volume of the music down, which had gone from jazz and blues to old country music. Suddenly, he extended out his hand out and handed her an apple from his navy blue duffel bag that had been thrown on the floor beside his feet.

He apologised for not having anything more to offer her, but they had been a long way from anything that remotely resembled a grocery store. She hadn't eaten anything since this morning, other than a poached egg and a dry piece of toast, so she was beyond grateful for the hospitality he had shown her.

Melissa politely thanked him and felt her volubility dwindle away again when they, at last, made it to the next street. She started to pull at the hem of her dress with anticipation when she saw the house that still remained as black as coal from the rain that had settled on it. The house loomed over them the closer they got towards it. Melissa felt her heart begin to sink at the dreaded fear that Derek had been captured, detained, or worse, dead.

"Well, I'll be damned, what do we have here then?" Officer Cormac cried, interrupting her thoughts.

She watched him slide his tinted aviator sunglasses down towards the bridge of his nose so he could get a better look at the catastrophe that had broken out at Albert's estate. Police vehicles had the whole place surrounded. Some were taking cover outside the house, attempting to see if they could hear or see anything. Others had appeared to be more preoccupied, corresponding over their radios while standing near their cars to call for backup.