20| The Long Walk To Freedom

We all try and escape pain and death while we seek what is pleasant.
Albert Einstein.

Derek couldn't believe how delirious this repugnant woman truly was

Derek couldn't believe how delirious this repugnant woman truly was. He was certain, his frantic screams had resonated throughout this entire building. He was also sure he could hear their faint footsteps running along the hallway.

He knew very well, it was them - they were coming for him and things were going to get ugly now.

When Derek looked again, that crazy woman was gone as if it had all been one terrible nightmare. It was as if she evaporated into thin air, but then again, he was beginning to slowly grow accustomed to her unexplained disappearances. He didn't even bother to search for her either. He told himself that he had more important matters to attend to, like getting the hell out of here as quickly and effortlessly as possible.

Glancing over at the door and hearing the footsteps getting closer, he knew very well, that he had to do something; he knew his time was limited.

Holding his head up high and taking in a deep breath he scrambled to the door, and stood behind it, making his presence as inconspicuous as possible. He could feel the perspiration dripping down his back. He would have been lying if he wasn't the least bit worried, this could have gone either way tonight, and Derek knew all too well what was at stake if he cocked this up tonight.

He planned to wait here, as soon as they opened the door, he would come from behind them and take each and every one of their guns. His last attempt was to hold someone hostage if all else failed.

Get it together...Derek told himself calmly.
You got this...

His heart was beating at a tremendous rate, he was certain it would erupt in his chest. He was so deeply torn and conflicted and wondered if his plan would work.

As they say in prison, you either gotta fight, fuck or hit the fence.

His only incentive now was to fight and hit the fence.

He collapsed back against the hard cold wall - the fear almost crippling him, at the sound of the door been violently forced open with such extreme force that it nearly made him jump out of his skin. Frightened he would have been caught, when he heard the erupt sound of the door crashing open, he had to act fast and steer out the way, grateful he had just missed the door, coming at him full speed ahead.

Suddenly, a swarm of security officers and nurses burst into the room, their eyes anxiously searching the room for his whereabouts.

"Where is he?!" One of the male nurses hysterically screamed.

Derek caught sight of one of the men reaching for his phone, calling for backup. Derek heard the man say with a tone of certainty in his voice, that he wouldn't get very far. Derek smiled quietly to himself thinking how he was yet to test that man's theory.