23| Man On A Mission

Darkness, cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Just as the old man was about to emerge out of the car, Derek hastily retreated from his hiding place, out of desperation to not get arrested pulled him back in the car, before, hysterically shouting at the old man, to drive off

"Get out of the car, now!" the policeman was screaming at them both, intentionally alerting all the other officers nearby, what was going on, the minute he saw Derek appear from where he'd been hiding.

"I said get out of the Godamn car now! or I will open fire!" the officer proceeded to insist, aggressively waving his firearm at them, as a warning not to move from their current position, or else there would be serious repercussions if they refused to comply. The old man was all helter-skelter, Derek knew he had to act fast, before things escalated beyond his control. He jumped in the passenger seat, leaning over the old man and started the engine up.

The sudden and forceful movement of the car jerking back and forth while he was standing up, trying to maintain a steady balance, resulted in Derek been abruptly thrown, over the passenger seat, hearing the gunshots being fired off one by one, as the old man grabbed the steering wheel and hurriedly sped off. He managed to gather some composure, and quickly returned to the back seat, in one piece, while the old man continued to drive. The first bullet ripped through the back window, he ducked, grateful the first bullet ricocheted onto the dashboard instead, just missing the old man.

"Give me your gun!" Derek screamed at him, dusting the shards of glass, that covered the back seat and himself away.

The old man did as he was told and handed him the gun. Derek hunched in between the seats, realising it was a different gun, to the one he saw previously.

The cops were hot on their tail, and from what Derek could see, there may have been three or four police cars after them, he wasn't entirely certain. Bullets were flying everywhere, people, that were going to work were walking past with their mouths gaping open in disbelief and shock, watching all of this taking place.

Some were even filming it with their phones, Derek imagined this would be on tomorrow's news channel and Melissa would see it, he thought, morosely biting his bottom lip, reminding himself that, he was doing this all for her and Holly, before firing a gunshot round. He wasn't sure if it was the anger and rage inside of him, that landed him a first-time lucky shot.

It instantly hit one of the officers driving the car, resulting in him losing control and driving straight into a four-wheeler truck that was beside them.

The sudden impact of the truck hitting the car forced their vehicle off the road, before plunging off the ledge. People were screaming maniacally, as they watched the police officers meeting their inevitable and impending doom that awaited them, leaving only two police vehicles left.

Derek examined how many bullets were left in the chamber, before cocking the gun.

"We have to lose them!" he shouted, resting back against the chair.