35| The Confession

Melissa sat trembling inside the Minnesota State correctional facility, waiting to see Derek

Melissa sat trembling inside the Minnesota State correctional facility, waiting to see Derek. Today would have marked the sixth week after they'd detained her husband from Albert's estate and brought him here, pending his trial hearing.

A million and one different mixed emotions were flooding through Melissa, the longer she sat there, waiting, watching the time creeping past her, as if it were slipping right through her fingers.

She decided to come here today and come clean with Derek about the sexual assault at her sister's house. Even though she knew she wasn't to blame for what David did, a part of her also realized she could never be able to live with the regret of knowing he did that to her and not telling Derek.

She was aware of the fact that as soon as this went to trial, Derek would have found out anyway. She opted to rather have just gotten it over with now, so there was no chance of it coming back to haunt her at a later stage.

Burying her troubled thoughts, Melissa squeezed her eyes closed, while she drifted between sleepiness and wakefulness until she was woken up by a police officer, tapping her on the shoulder blade.

He had been requesting to grill and pad her down before she was even able to be allowed to step foot in the open visiting room, where she would be speaking with Derek.

After what felt like a lifetime of him searching her from head to toe, the officer stood aside and Melissa's attention was focused on the big room in front of her now.

There were rows and rows of tables with chairs for the visitors to sit on while they spoke to the prisoners, separated apart from one another behind a glass barrier, and a telephone to correspond through.

Upon entering the visiting room, the prison guard had given Melissa a strict plethora of rules during the hour she would be speaking with Derek.

He made it clear to her that she would be monitored throughout her visit here, under the watchful eye of the guards posted beside each table.

This infuriated Melissa because she felt robbed enough of having to see her husband through a glass window, without even being allowed to make any physical contact with him.

"Ya got one hour, miss," the officer said clicking his tongue at her. He then pointed in the direction of the small narrow table overlooking the glass window, with the telephone hanging on the wall. "Make it count."

Approaching the visiting room, Melissa's footsteps started to become laboured. She could feel every guard scrutinizing her while she mechanically walked past and the eyes of several inmates eyeing her up and down as if she were a piece of fresh meat, following her to her chair.

After intensely body searching her, they had stripped her of her cell phone, and her purse, invoking an intense vulnerability in Melissa, she could never have foreseen coming.

Waiting for Derek to make an appearance, Melissa rested her hands on the hard metal table. The longer she sat there, the more Melissa could feel her frustration starting to exacerbate.
It happened each time another new criminal would swing through that door, trudge past and eye her up, favourably licking their lips as they walked on by.