5| Haunted Dreams

Melissa gazed motionlessly at the television screen without paying much interest to it and then swivelled around again on the edge of her chair, at the small confined room of the hospital, waiting to see be seen by the doctor.

At first, she thought it had just been a ridiculous, obscene phone, until she discovered that Derek had been attacked and found left for dead near an old railway embankment station in Highbury Hills along with three other men who got murdered.

She came as soon as she heard the news. She almost had an accident driving on the highway, just getting to the hospital and had been seated here in the waiting room, for nearly two hours waiting for the doctor to arrive so she could speak with him about Derek.

Melissa's attention was soon focused on the four people that had been in front of her now. A timid woman next to her was pregnant anxiously waiting to go into theatre after her labour had been induced in the early hours of this morning.

The seats closest to her stood empty sandwiched between three old men, who filled it now and then with harsh hacking coughs and looked as if they had been waiting here, longer than she had.

Every few seconds, the three old men would continually alternate from their seated positions and trudge in the direction of the pretty blonde receptionist typing away on her computer, in between arguing with her lover on the phone and scolding him for phoning her during work hours.

"I told you not to phone me, at work, Jimmy, so bug off would ya!" And with that, she banged the phone down. It made a loud thunderous crash as it gave way to the receiver.

Melissa noticed the attractive blonde-haired, blue-eyed woman, wriggling uncomfortably in her seat, when she observed every nameless face in the room, transfixed to her after hearing her fight with the angry man on the phone, who wouldn't take no for an answer.

The blonde-haired woman muttered something nonsensical at everyone and continued to type away at her computer. Melissa decided to utilise the opportunity before she got distracted again by her possessive boyfriend, so she could find out when the doctor would be available to see her.

Apprehension, fear and doubt filled, Melissa when she wandered towards the receptionist's desk, clinging onto her finger that supported her wedding ring, worried there was something they weren't telling her.

She stood in front of the blonde-haired woman now and realised getting her attention would be a bigger task than she thought.

" Ahem," Melissa spoke up, coughing nervously into the palm of her hand, clearing her throat, in the hopes that she could get the woman's attention that seemed preoccupied with everything else but Melissa.

The blonde-haired woman flinched at the sound of the rumbling thunder exploding in from outside. She closed all the windows when the fierce ruffling breeze came storming in the room, like hurricane Katrina scattering everything out of place and blowing the papers off her desk.

Groaning in frustration at the inconvenience of having to pick all of it up, she leaned over the unbending stretched-out piece of wood that surrounded her. She managed to save the documents before they could prepare for take-off out of the window and began reorganising them in their suitable orderly position again, noisily moaning under her breath for the second time.

She stopped in the middle of slotting the pages back in place and blinked her eyes at Melissa, acting as if it were the first time, she had become aware of her presence. Throwing the documents down on the desk, she raised her pencil-sewn eyebrows cattily at Melissa. "Y-Yeah? Can I help you, ma'am?"