22 | No Place To Run

It is always fair sailing when you escape evil.
- Sophocles.

Before Derek could hear the rest of the man finish his sentence, the lights unexpectedly went out and the room was shrouded in darkness

Before Derek could hear the rest of the man finish his sentence, the lights unexpectedly went out and the room was shrouded in darkness. Derek promptly rose from his seat and navigated towards the open window fighting through the silhouettes of shadows, that prevented him from getting to the other side of this pitch-black room of death.

He carefully pulled the drapes aside, discovering that all the lights were on in every house, in the neighbourhood but this one. It was as if this house was the only one that had a cloud of darkness hovering over it, preventing any light from coming through it. Derek didn't know what was going on at this moment. But a strange and unreasoning fear filled him, that something exceptionally sinister was going to happen and he no longer felt safe here anymore.

He started to wonder if this was a coincidence or if it was the work of the high principalities of evil at it again - with her anything was possible.

He felt an uncomfortable knot form in the pit of his stomach, when he thought to himself, if this was her doing all this to taunt him and mess with his mind even further. Something ominous was seemingly at play here and one way or another he was going to get to the bottom of this.

He rapidly made his way across the room, to aid and assist the man so he could help rise up off his seat. The old man appeared to be frightened almost and was shaking involuntary as he stumbled around in the darkness looking for something but became frustrated when he discovered it wasn't where he left it.

"What's wrong?" Derek asked him anxiously his voice sounding ragged and filled with concern.

But the old man didn't answer him and continued fidgeting in the shadows for something, that he was desperate to find. Derek saw the man's wife emerge from the kitchen and stand in the entranceway of the doorway, she herself looked as equally as terrified as her husband.

"What is going on?" Derek asked again, his voice resounding throughout the entire house. He could feel a sharp icy cool breeze creep up against his skin, forcing him to a seizing halt. He felt as if he were being touched by something in the shadows.

"You have to leave," the man whispered, with a tone of impatience in his voice."It was a bad idea bringing you here."

He paused for a second before speaking, an expression of anxiety quickly passed over his face." S-S-She's here, Derek you must leave..."

Derek couldn't believe his ears. Did he just hear those words come out of this old mans mouth and say those words? Good God Almighty...Derek thought breathing a silent sigh of relief under his breath. This man was living proof that he wasn't going out of his mind, and that everything he had been through was real.

"Please tell me what you know about this woman and Albert?"Derek cried out frantically. "Please I need to know if there is something you know, about this man who left me this will in testament, and why this crazy woman is trying to ruin my life and frame me for all these murders?!"